Friday 18 May 2012

Is it right to diet during pregnancy?



Did your mother get more chubby than before after giving a birth to you? Will dieting in pregnancy period harm your unborn child? We have learnt from previously blog post about how overdue born affect a baby. Now, what if mother dieting while pregnancy?

According to “Weight management 'benefits' for mother and baby”, two groups are arguing is it appropriate to diet and monitor weight during pregnancy. London-based team said dieting and monitoring weight prevent excess weight gain and cut the risk of complications, while the advice from the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE), published in 2010, says: "Dieting during pregnancy is not recommended as it may harm the health of the unborn child."(¶5)

To solve this case, National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) compared mothers who diet and mother who doesn't control their weight during pregnancy period. As the result, mothers who diet are less likely to develop complications in the future and dieting doesn't affect babies' weight. However, Dr Shakila Thangaratinam, a consultant obstetrician at Queen Mary, University of London who led the study, warn that we should consider that researcher didn't advise women to lose weight during pregnancy, they just advised them to diet and control their weight properly.



This is a new knowledge for me as I keep doubting why my mother and my friends' mother are a little bit chubby more than before they became pregnant, maybe there're some misunderstandings about dieting while pregnant. They might think that they should eat for their babies too and that cause obesity or fatness in women after pregnant. But, according to this research, it's unnecessary. Mothers could control their weight while they are pregnant and it doesn't affect babies' health and weight. All they need for their babies is just nutritious food that provide essential vitamins. So, now you can tell someone who is going to become pregnant not to eat too much in order to have slender shape as before after pregnant instead of the chubby and out of shape one !


References
“Weight management 'benefits' for mother and baby”. (2012, May 18). BBC News. Retrieved May 18, 2012 from  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18101423.

5 comments:

  1. Well well well, I see your point, but I think it is too risky to jump into that conclusion. I think this for the reason that if you are indulged in the area of research, you will feasibly realise that it can be defeated by other new ideas all time. It is like a cycle of thesis-antithesis-synthesis; therefore, for me it is hard to believe that this research is 100 percent unconquerable or not. That is why I warn you that it is too dangerous to adopt what the researchers tell us. Moreover, I think it does not make sense. As you can probably measure the easy equation, when a consumer needs more power to spend, he has to receive more as well. This way makes sense, but about dieting which make the pregnant mom decreases a number of energy while needing to send some to her baby, I think even though it may now show that it does not affect any thing. We just do not know the long-term effect though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Note, but with a qualification.

      It is true that medical research is often overturned - the retraction rate for papers in medicine is as high as 50%, compared to about 5% for physics and about 0% for mathematics. (Mathematicians have an enormous advantage in that they can actually prove their ideas beyond any doubt, and they tend to do that before publication in a journal.)

      However, I also agree with the deeper point that Pam suggests: just because something sounds reasonable or plausible or right, does not make it true. Many common beliefs that sound reasonable are completely wrong, and the cost of persisting in these false beliefs can be horrifyingly high.

      For example, many people use as an excuse for unjust laws against drug use, wars on drugs and other such crimes against citizens, that without such laws against drug use, a lot more people would use drugs and addiction rates would increase. This popular belief is false - the relevant evidence is against it, and politicians, police and others who spread it must be lying for some evil motive because it's not plausible to believe that they do not know the relevant facts.

      I have no idea whether pregnant women should diet or not, but I am strongly inclined to put much more faith in statistics than anything my mother used to say. And of course, a lot of doctors give wrong and bad advice to patients because they fail to keep up with the latest research - very dangerous.

      Delete
  2. My friend gave birth last month, she didn't gain too many weight during pregnancy. But one thing that I ever heard from doctor is during pregnancy you should gain your weight follow by your month pregnancy such as 1-3 month you should gain you weight 1-2 kg. per month.
    But for the research, I kind of 50-50 to believe this research. You shouldn't be diet during pregnant, but you should provide nutrition food and vitamins for your baby.
    Don't eat too much sweet tooth or eat too much any kind of food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to the review by the National Institute of Health Research (NIHR), they advice the pragnancy woman to control the calorie food, and eat foods such as grain, fruits, vegetables, and pulse. This are the nutrition food. There are many vitamin and fiber. It show the good result to reduce the weight grain. I think it is a good thing not only for the woman but also for the baby. This news article is telling us to know the essential of weight management that not effects to the baby. This is the new one that I learn after the last article (Overdue babies: 'Risks for those born after 42 weeks')that I posted last week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you all know, I am a slim and tall person. Many people think I must eat less to keep me in the shape, but actually not. Even though I usually eat more than most of girls, my weight never meet the standard of BMI(Body Mass Index)>= 18.5~24. Borrowing from Lady Gaga,"I just born this way". Honestly, I am not happy with that, but I know many people don't believe me. Since I know women can get fat easily during pregnancy, I think maybe that would be one of my good opportunity to get weight. If I will be pregnant in the future, I must take a chance to eat like a horse then.^^

    P.S. If you're interested in you BMI, Please check at http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.