Wednesday 19 August 2015

Brain game 'improves lives of schizophrenia patients'

In recent two weeks, our study is around the topic which is related to abnormal psychology that it is helpful for me because I would like to study Dance Therapy MA Program in the UK next year. Most people have not heard about dance therapy, actually I think that I am also not really understanding this subject before I start my study in the UK . Now, I just know that it is a subject which combines psychology and body movement. However, human is diverse, personal and unique that maybe no one can really understand all the subjects which related to individuals.

According to "Brain game 'improves lives of schizophrenia patients'"(2015), a professional in the university of Cambridge found that a small number of schizophrenia patients who experience cognitive problems are enhancing their memory and learning ability after they played brain-train games which has a wizard theme with various levels of difficulty over one month. Although the results are promising, the researcher said that it is a slow process for treatment which still need to develop a drug treatment in order to have a obvious benefits. Plus, the research team said more research was needed on larger groups of patients to confirm the findings.

When I read this article, I consider that a brain game seems like a similar treatment form with dance therapy. First, both of them are not needed to talk too much with psychotherapist that it is helpful to those patients who cannot communicate well with people such as autism, schizophrenia and dementia. Second, it is more interesting than traditional therapy so that patients might have more motivation on brain games or body movement, it would be beneficial to their healing. Finally, if it can use in conjunction with other therapies such as drugs therapy, it might have more effective results for treatment.

I personally prefer the psychological treatments without drugs because drugs might hurt our health in different levels. Although, sometimes taking drugs is a necessary treatment for certain patients in order to change their physical situation, I still believe that we can more focus on the power of mind such as concentration, creativity and mindfulness to reduce the dependence on drugs so that everyone already have the ability to heal ourselves. For example, there was a Japanese Professor who did an experiment on water. He found that if people said positive words to a cup of water that can become beautiful water crystals. On the other hand, if people said negative words that water would become ugly water crystals. Therefore, if playing a brain game or dancing can enhance our psychological situation, it would be a more steady and healthy ways to enhance patients ability for their life.

However, most people are more dependent on drug therapy and think that playing a brain game and dancing sound a ridiculous way for psychological treatments, but I think that we just need more experiments on it. I hope that people can more realize on our mind which is not a machine, it is an energy that we cannot see it, but it is real exist.
__________
Reference

Brain game 'improves lives of schizophrenia patients'.(2015, August 3).BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/health-33736760

5 comments:

  1. You post reminded me to think about one of my dreams.

    Indeed, if I have a chance to study again—apart from my Ph.D. study plan, I would also like to study psychology, especially for cognitive and behavioral program—one of my area of interest—because it is not only what I am interested in, but also it can help me obviously understand myself and other people. Likewise, I think that the knowledge in this field could be also widely applied as a part of education, marketing, advertisement, therapy and the like. To illustrate, these days some people have adapted psychology principles for their business to response the behavior of consumer or customers; several times we all were captivated by such different psychology-based strategies in various products. Thus, studying psychology would cause many benefits for my future career and life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Feem,

    Thanks for your reply. I agree with you that psychology is a really wide subject. There are many theories of different psychologists. I am not really familiar with every theories, but I try to look for how is my favorite. Actually, I think that a person who is more difficult to understand should be ourselves. Yes, that is why I think to be a therapist would be interesting that it is a long journey and endless process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your article, it remind me to think of a Japanese professor who did a research about water crystal. People who pray or listen to the classical music seem to have more beautiful water crystals (like your above picture) than people who listened to rock music.

    So I believe that the psychological patients can be healed by natural therapy - such as meditating, music or dance therapy instead of using drugs, because drugs did not heal the patients in the root causes. In other words, using drugs just made the schizophrenia people to feel relieved in short term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Punn,

      Thanks for your reply. I agree with you that using drugs just make patients feeling good in a period. Beside, drugs also have some side effects. As you said, heal the patients in the root causes would be a better choose.

      Delete
  4. I've read about that article too. Personally, I believe in power of the power of our brain or even the sound we speak. Every religion have it own way of praying but it all relating to pronounce some word or phrase in rhythm which may emit some powerful energy.

    Aerobic dancing is one of my favorite ways of exercise too. It make me feel refresh and happy.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.