Friday 7 August 2015

Britons 'love smartphones and selfies'

Nowadays, most people are addicted to use smart phone, and enjoy sharing their life in social sites, such as Facebook and Instagram, so selfies become a popular trend.

According to "Britons 'love smartphones and selfies'"(Kleinman,2015), Briton have a higher percent to use smart phone than laptop, and people also take selfies very often because smart phone's cameras are more advanced, that is why digital cameras replaced by camera of smart phone. However, for users who are over 35 years old show different habits compared to young people, they prefer to use digital camera for storing pictures and printed out pictures for display. Plus, there are also a large proportion of people using 4G Internet in smart phone or family wifi. Nevertheless, the percentage of people watching TV is not decrease dramatically.


 For my observation, selfies are a  global phenomenon that is not only in Western countries, but also in Asia, such as Taiwan and Thailand. People enjoy uploading photos which seem like in the same place and check in in different places, it seems to be bored. Moreover, the majority of individuals prefer taking photos for meals in order to upload on social sites and check in. For some people, it is their hobby for taking beautiful food photos that are really look delicious. On the other hand, other people think that it is an annoying behavior, especially when you are hungry, but you need to wait. Therefore, smartphones is a double-edged sword which could make our life more fun and creative but  make some impolite behavior between person and person.


The article remind me that I used to like selfies but now I prefer to ask my friend to take photos for me, because it would be more nature and memorable. However, People enjoy selfies for following reasons: First, we can see our face in monitor of smart phone and know how to take a beautiful photo for ourselves, so we will feel more confident for taking picture. Second, we can use many useful apps to take selfies more fabulous and interesting in order to earn Facebook likes that can make people have more vanity because their friends leave a positive feedback. Finally, it might be the most important reason that people want to be loved and accepted and most people want to be connected with people, that is why Facebook so popular. Although, it looks stupid if someone posted a lots of selfies on his/her social cite, he/she might be want to attract people's attention. However, it is personal freedom that people should respect if take selfies did not hurt anyone.

__________
Reference
Kleinman, Z. (2015, August 6). Britons 'love smartphones and selfies'. BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33777168

9 comments:

  1. I'm sure everyone has some response to Joyce's post.
    Mine is mixed. I almost never take selfies, but I do like taking quick snap shots of people I'm with, where we are, and what we're doing. And that often means eating. But I never post them to Facebook. Instead, I send the best ones to the friends I'm with, and keep my own as a personal record of the event. I'm not sure that my FB friends or followers would really want to see photos of me or my friend's eight-year-old son eating ice cream or oysters. Those photos are meaningful only for us.

    Another response also occurred to me, but I'll wait for others to share theirs first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I have to add that I do love my smartphone. I quickly became addicted and would now be lost without it with me.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Hi Peter,

      I am glad to know that how do you use your Facebook because I am always confused about that. Sometimes, I really want to connect with people, so I post my words or photos to share my life. However, sometimes I feel it is not a good choose to let over three hundred people know my life. Especially, I found that a Facebook friend who stole my words which I wrote down two years ago and posted on her page yesterday that makes me uncomfortable and offended. Therefore, I need to consider again what is my purpose to post things on Facebook.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joyce

    An evidence which shows that selfies is very popular in Thailand and many countries in Asia is 'selfies stick'. Do you have one? For me, I have one, and no, I did not buy it by myself but many of my co-workers gave it as a present, and I think this behavior emphasize us how selfies very popular in Thailand, while I see most of western people tend to take selfied by themselves rather than use this stick. As you said, selfies shot make some people feel more confidence because they can check an angle of their face before posting it, but sometimes it look unnatural too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ling,
      In Taiwan, we also can buy selfies stick in night markets, but I never want to buy it. I think that it might not be convenient for me if I need to bring it in my bag. My FB friend posted a statement that is said when she uses selfies stick in Western country (I do not remember which country), western people looks really amazied and surprised by this invention. So, I think we might be more keen to selfies than western people.

      Delete
  4. For me, I am a person who loves using a smartphone for my regular life (such as phoning, checking email and etc.) but rarely for selfie. As you said, many people enjoy taking photo everywhere and every time and posting on social media like Instagram, Facebook and so on—sometimes to expect good feedback and many social media likes, sometime to present about what they experienced. Yet, several times they are not aware of taking photo and selfie. I used to see a lot of news that people taking selfie on hilltop during their travelling have fallen into the ground and then they died; other situations about selfies that they did not do carefully also made them injured or died. Although it is true that taking selfie is personal freedom to do, people should take it more carefully and pay much attention to safety too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Feem,

    I agree with you that most people are hard to concentrate on their life because of smartphones. For example, some people use smartphone when they are driving, and some people text messages when they are walking that is really dangerous.


    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.