Wednesday 12 August 2015

The invisible things do not mean they are unreal

A campaign which is announced from Thailand Public Health for pathogen spreading prevention is popular and reminds Thai people by a dialect quote “Gin ron, Chon glang, Laang mue” that means eating hot food, using a scoop for a shared dish and washing your hands before consuming, is a signal of infection via a cuisine. Regarding to the campaign, it is well-known that saliva of a patient which full of either bacteria or virus is a main contagion by indirect contact; therefore, most people are received those microorganisms and may become a sufferer unless the immune system is weak.

According to BBC News “Lancashire homes forced to boil water to cryptosporidium bug” (2015) Lancaster households are reported to boil United Utilities bottled water because of cryptosporidium, a bacteria causes diarrhea and abdominal cramps which found in air, soil, food and faeces, contaminates that Robert Parker, Blackpool resident, doesn’t satisfy in neglect of infected diarrhea emergency and lately announce of the company while a representative of United Utilities denies the arraignment. Kate Brierley, Public Health England, suggests drinking replace lost fluid because of diarrhea.

Cryptosporidium in human's body
Source: http://www.nature.com/

Microbe is a group of living creatures which we cannot see by naked eyes even though they are everywhere; for examples, in the air and the soil, in the water of hot spring, on animal’s skin, including around our lash eye! None of these microorganisms, despites, can live and adapt themselves to suitable in the whole environment; hence, each strain also has a range that appropriate to grow up - increasing their mass and reproducing the progeny. Any human disease causing microorganisms greatly thrive at 37 degree Celsius, a human temperature, and have a range for slowly growth within 25-60 degree Celsius. They might endure lower or above the range.

In agreement with the distribution and pathogenesis of cryptosporidium from the news, boiling water is a basic step of decreasing its amount rather than getting rid of. Most of single cell bacteria will bud for the next generation because of its simple structure which is also easy to be damaged by high temperature. Reporting to Lancashire to boil water first is a good choice of stopping diarrhea occurrence from cryptosporidium but not its spore. Microbial spores have a special character to tolerate in the extreme humidity and climatic so, it possibly re-backs although the cryptosporidium cells are eliminated.

The boiled water arouses me of using warm water to scald a canteen spoon and fork; however, it is not enough for sterilization. When I go to a food center, I always observe consumer’s behaviors to the warm water in a pot, and the result is dipping their picked couples to a moment. With a hundred degree Celsius, bubble floating appears, for ten minutes or above effectively decrease an enormous of contaminated bacteria, is different from prepared water which is about 50-60 degree in an opened environment is welcome germs from divergent sources via the air. Regardless of the minimum temperature and time, if canteen administrators control the quality standard of them and attach a proper time suggestion, the procedure will capably decrease rate of infection.
__________
Reference
"Lancashire homes forced to boil water due to cryptosporidium bug". (2015, August 7). BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-33816989

9 comments:

  1. Poy's title immediately got me thinking, but not about the ideas in her blog post. Her ideas are interesting, and I thought remind us of how very far most human societies have progressed over the last hundred years or so - our awareness of bacteria, viruses and other microbes is very recent. For most of human history we knew nothing of them and our ancestors made up ideas ranging from the weird to the silly to explain diseases caused by these things. Thankfully, we know much more than our ancestors.

    And I think we know much more than our ancestors in the truly invisible aspects of life: in morals and other values. If we are looking for moral guidance, if we seek to understand the nature and truth of beauty, or good morals and so on, why would be think that our primitive ancestors were better than more recent efforts to understand such things?

    Of course, some ancient thinkers did have some ideas worth studying today - Plato's Socrates, for example, said some critical things about religion and gods that seem to me to have stood the test of 2,400 years of examination, unlike many less ancient notions. (See especially Euthyphro).

    Getting back to Poy's title, I think that moral statements are as true or false as statements about disease and any other scientific claim. Just because they are about invisible things does not, as Poy's title say, make them not real.

    I know many people today disagree with me, especially in university education and sociology departments, although not in philosophy departments. Which view do you support? And why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter. Thank you for your ideas. I completely agree with you. Regarding to our visual receptors are limited to a range of visible light while they're more wave length we cannot sense so, it might be a lot of things undercover by the special of nature. Other sensibilities, moreover, might have in our world while we don't have ability to realize. I mean they may be not include in feeling, seeing, smelling or hearing. Such we know about some people who claim to have the sixth sense, it possibly that they have extra receptors for those things that our general gene cannot produce.

      Delete
  2. Speaking of scalding a canteen spoon and fork in Thailand, it seems good idea to clean and prevent from pathogen. Yet, it may not mean you have your utensils completely sterilized because all type of pathogens are not killed within quick time of dipping and the temperature range (normally lower than 100 degree Celsius) of hot water in which people try to scald. I agree your point that it should have controlling and set a standard for this as well as provide correct, essential information to people. However, I think that Joyce’s idea that she prepares personal spoon and fork for eating food is quite interesting, and it would reduce worry about dirty utensils in any canteen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Feem for your response. I will see you carry your utensils in the next week, won't I?

      Delete
  3. I was thinking of the times I've gotten sick with food poisoning. First, it's very rarely, less than once a year. What is interesting to me is that it has not been from eating food on the street: I'm careful, but the food stalls near my home that I regularly eat at have never caused me a problem. The was they wash their spoons, forks and chopsticks seems fairly basic, with bit of a scrub in sudsy water followed by a rinse in clear water: boiling water does not come into it. In fact, this is not so different to what I do at home.

    I don't often eat in food courts these days, but when I used to, I don't remember seeing the behaviour the Poy reports. Is that now common?

    My guess (and it is just a guess) is that cleanliness in the food preparation in the unseen kitchen areas has more to do with my getting food poisoning than do the utensils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For food poisoning, it may not causes by utensils unless your immune system is too weak likes a person who get suffer from immunodeficiency. As you say, the reason of your sickness possibly because of contaminated food.

      It might because I'm a microbiologist who do a lot of experiments with those microorganisms make me curious with a useless scalded pot although not all of microbe are pathogen. I just think that if it stand to decreasing amount of bugs, it should effective function.
      By the way, this may be a gimmick for the customer's feelings.

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure that cleaning spoon and fork in a canteen is the right idea, even I agree that heat can kill most of bacteria, this is because I don't think that a pot that use for boiling is clean enough, Have you ever closely kept your eyes into the pot? I always do it! Then, I found that there are some spoons and forks sink under the water, and I see food scraps float around, so sometimes I choose to bring mine to a toilet and clean it by myself.

    Thank you for your writing Poy, it reminds me to carefully take care myself because I will be there in the next month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I saw that dregs sometime, so I avoided to use the scald pot, but forgot to clean the utilities. I used those spoon and fork although I'm not sure in clean of them. Maybe, the contaminated microbe helped me to stimulate my immune system when they were taken inside my body.
      (I'm joking). Your idea is interesting, I will wash the utilities next time.

      That's my pleasure, take care yourself and please share your experience if you face some interesting there.

      Delete
    2. I wonder, does anyone have any statistics on the number of people who get sick after eating at a food court? I never have, and I'm not very careful.
      Which are more dangerous: street stalls, food court stalls, or restaurants?

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.