Monday 17 August 2015

Talent or Practice?

Most people are inclined to believe that someone who is good at something would have natural talent; nonetheless, it may be not always true. In the case of Olympic athletics, if talent is a god's gift that makes them win and get medals in sports competition, why do all of them need to keep practicing regularly? Is only purposeful practice without any talents enough to become master of anything—sport, art, science, language and the like?

In “Can you succeed at anything with enough practice?”, Matt Pickles (2015) says an experiment about coaching a computer geek—who is not a sporty guy—ever day to make him become one of top table-tennis players in UK within one year to try to testify the idea that people can reach mastery in anything by a lot of continuous practice without any talents. Although at the end of year he did not still achieve this goal, there has been a great change in his ability, and he wants to further train so as to become one of the 250 highest-ranked players.

The results of this experiment seem that talent also matters to help achieve a goal more quickly. Only practice may take a long time and be achievable if one never intends to give up before. However, routine practice, good discipline, keen attempt in this case shows a great change and development of his ability even though he does not have talent at all. This would be because a human brain, performance and behavior are adaptable if trained appropriately and correctly, indicating that practice will help take one to reach his/her aim. Furthermore, perhaps it may be also difficult to explicitly answer what (talent or practice) is more important than what as people differently defined the word “success” and have their own definitions.

When I studied in the junior high school (around grade 7-8), I started to practically learn and use a computer, whereas my friend could use it well. At that time one of my major problems is that I typed very slowly and needed to look at each letter on a keyboard before touching them. In turn, some of my friends could type quickly, fluently and accurately without glancing at any buttons on a keyboard at all, considerably amazing me. Afterwards, I tried to practice this skill a lot through the program for practicing typing I gave from my computer teacher until finally I could type effectively for Thai keyboard with the use of all of my fingers (correct position on the keyboard) and without looking at any buttons on the keyboard—as my friends did. Since then, I am no longer worried about such a problem, and additionally now my typing ability has been also further developed for English keyboard. Therefore, I believe the full effort on routine practice would help bring about the great change in one’s ability despite no talent and lead to succeed in anything.

In addition, one thing that is important for attaining any achievements is belief. Belief is about law of attraction that makes one think positively and has hope to do and overcome any challenges and obstacles so as to reach successful aims. Not only that, but also well-defined goals will encourage and motivate oneself to keep doing with the best attempt. Both well-posed goals and firm belief improve nothing but the chance of success in one’s life. Finally, two meaningful statements for fulfilling one’s dream I want to share here are “Do something successfully is better than do nothing at all” and “People are more capable than they think they are.”

.....May the force be with you.....
__________
Reference
Can you succeed at anything with enough practice?. (2015, April 1). BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/business-31945687

8 comments:

  1. Reading Feem's post reminded me again that I still haven't learned to touch type in Thai! I also remember learning to touch type in English - it was pretty boring, but an extremely valuable skill for me.

    In fact, now that I think about it, my ability to write Thai is awful. Everyone in the class can write English much better than I write Thai. I can read well enough to get by, but haven't put in the practice needed to learn to write fluently, and my Thai spelling is truly awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter,
      You have not learn to touch type in Thai, but you also can touch type in English. My touch type is neither Thai nor English, I can only guess where the letter is? or which of my finger will type this letter?

      Delete
    2. Learning to touch type in Thai is quite interesting and challenging because there are many Thai alphabets and vowels on a key board and we need to use a lot of “Shift” button for some letters. So, it is quite different from touch type in English.

      Yet, I think if everyone has a chance to practice regularly, it is definitely possible to type fluently and accurately. To type with the correct position of all of your fingers is pretty significant too since it not only helps type more quickly, but also it can reduce fatigue of your figures.

      Thank you so much for your comments

      Delete
  2. I agree that in many occasions we have to rely on talent, it is true that practice will prepare you to do things well but sometimes individual's intelligence is very necessary for making decision and handling unpredictable situations.

    For example, football player who have lot of experience from practicing, he will know that what he should do when a ball come to each way, after he finish 100 lessons, he will know the 100 ways to handle the ball, but when he face others situation that he have never practice before, he may confuse and cannot deal with, while a talent one will get it easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, if one has both talent and a lot of practice, it would be very good. In fact, it seems that most of people may not have both of them altogether; nevertheless, it does not mean those people will not succeed in anything. The things they should do are to find what they love is and which of them they are good at and then, practice, practice and practice routinely. Some days, they would be proud of themselves for always possible success.

      Thank you so much for your comments

      Delete
  3. I have read about "The Law of Attraction" before and I thought it's interesting but I've decided to test it yet. However, I agree that positive thinking can bring us a new perspective of our life and redefine how we approach the problem.

    Like Feem, I used to have a problem typing thai in computer class when I was at elementary school. More importantly, we also need to take a typing test too. Since I don't have that typing practice program at my home, I chose to talk to my friends via MSN ( Instant message program which very popular at that time). By this method, I've been forced to type rapidly because I don't want my friends to wait for too long. Eventually, my typing skill was developed through each conversation and I passed the typing exam with pleasant scores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your past achievement like your touch-type skill have guaranteed that you can achieve in anything you desired as long as you believe that you can do if you take actions and practice a lot.

      Undoubtedly, basic element of success is our beliefs. As Henry Ford once said, “Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.” Law of attraction always works well to bring you what you believed. Still, sometimes it seems hard to make firm belief in doing something. My suggestion is that to seek previous success cases you are impressed or admire as your inspiration and a guideline to pursue your goals. Another effective way is to frequently imagine your future success to help you feel that you virtually succeed in that thing.

      Law of attraction can change your life.

      Thanks Ice for your comments

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.