Saturday 8 August 2015

Green Jaywalkers

Crossing the street out of the crosswalk is the problem in many countries, from my own way to solve this problem is pay the expensive in taxes, afford the drivers when they were injured, and afford for fixing cars. This idea usually a good way to solve jaywalker problems, but not the best way to fix it.

According to "Jaywalkers made to wear green 'hats of shame'" (2015), In the southern of Guangdong province, Chinese police caught jaywalkers to pay a 20 yuan fine and make them wearing green, hats and vest, and helping traffic for a while to ashamed them. In Chinese culture wearing green hat means a man's wife or his girlfriend has cheated on him, to wearing green hat in Chinese culture is embarrassing.

Not only the pedestrian can get injures from crossing the street but also the drivers, too. When drivers sudden turn the wheel to get out of pedestrian, their cars are highly to get out of control and get crash. Pedestrian is happily to walk back home, but the drivers need to go to the hospital and fix their own car. This was happen with my friend's sister, so many times that I saw people crossing street and having a pedestrian bridge over their head I always think it that we could do something for the jaywalker except paying the cheap fine.

It was surprised me that Chinese police have a very good idea to punish jaywalkers in a green uniform, which is a color that they do not like it, and making them to spend more in the traffic. I like this idea because they were stole the time from other person who walked to the crosswalk, and from the drivers, too , when they got caught they should spend more times than others.
__________
Reference
China: Jaywalkers made to wear green 'hats of shame'. (2015, August 5). BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-33788143

10 comments:

  1. Morning coffee is a good time to do some quick commenting on blogs, and that's what I'm doing now. It's a bit earlier than usual because I have an AUA class at 8:00 AM on Saturdays and Sundays.

    More directly related to Ter's blog post, my first response was to side more with the pedestrians than the drivers, but Ter does make a good point. Perhaps what is needed are a lot more lights to make cars stop so that people can safely cross the road. Rama 4 in front of Chamchuri Square is a good example. There are a lot of people who want to cross there and there is no safe way to do it. There needs to be either a pedestrian bridge or a traffic lights to make the cars stop to let people cross.
    I haven't heard of any accidents on this bit of road, which surprises me.

    My first response to the Chinese idea was: is there any evidence that it works, or does it just make people angry? Does it reduce jay walking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thailand have a lot of pedestrian bridges but many times that I saw jaywalker they crossvthe road while it have a bridge over their head as Ice says. For me, crossing Rama 4 in front of Chamchuri I usually go to the MRT, you can try it.

      Delete
    2. I confess, I've thought of Ter's solution, which is sensible. But ... I will continue to jay walk. It will add two or three minutes to my journey to cross the road underground using the MRTA station.
      I do use the BTS to cross Silom on the way to Silom Complex to do my daily grocery shopping at Tops, but that has the advantage of also being very convenient.

      Am I being terribly irrational or just foolish to continue crossing Rama 4 in front of Chamchuri?

      I love it when the traffic is jammed: nothing is moving, so I can safely and easily walk through the jammed cars! Perhaps what Bangkok needs are more traffic jams to make it easier for pedestrians. (OK, that sounds a bit selfish.)

      Delete
  2. Your selected article and response look quite interesting. The idea of Chinese police should be a useful case study for Thailand too. Most Thai people seems to be jaywalkers—sometimes I also tend to be that kind of person if I am in a hurry—and there are often accidents on the road due to arbitrary crossing a roadway without abiding by the regulation, especially in Bangkok. In fact, many flyovers and crosswalks have been provided; however, most of pedestrians are not likely to realize about these. If the policy like this idea is applied in Thailand, it will help significantly reduce traffic accidents and increase safety for both pedestrians and drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks a bit cute! Why don't they like green color? It looks fine and comfortable than red or yellow lol.

    However, does it seem that that China roads belong to the cars more than the jaywalkers? 555 the car drivers should be more careful to notice the jaywalkers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Chinese culture wearing green hat means a man's wife or his girlfriend has cheated on him.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. It's annoying for me too when I see people crossing street with the pedestrian bridge over their head. I think these people are just think about their own convenience but not their safety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's annoying for me too when I see people crossing street with the pedestrian bridge over their head. I think these people are just think about their own convenience but not their safety.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suddenly think of jaywalkers in Thailand which is not different from China. I accept that I am one of that group if I have a rush hour but I try to avoid as possible as I can.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.