Thursday 20 August 2015

Immobilizer: easy but harmful

Technologies are affect in our lives, it can make us have more secure and comfortable. On the other hand, technologies can also harmful to our lives, if someone use in the wrong way. Car immobiliser is one of technology which variously use in new cars, it not only comfortable and easy to access in car, but also have a large vulnerability that can easily hacked.

According to "Car immobiliser easy to crack, say researchers" (2015), a security researchers from University in Holland investigated the encryption system used by the Megamos immobiliser, they found that car's immobiliser have a weak security system and easily to crack with a few minutes by using a laptop. The researchers were completely found this "trivial" attack three years ago before publishing to public for prevented publication.

I heard this vulnerability couple years ago from my friend, he told me that the researchers found that car immobiliser is not secure, so they told to the car makers about the security, they can get the cryptography key, but the car maker sue them.

My car have an immobiliser, too, it makes me comfortable and secure me to access the car because I do not to pick up the key to get in the car which thief can stole it from my hand and drive away. Having an immobiliser key, the key always in my pocket although when I start or stop the engine, car will authorised the key with the magnet in a key. Locking and Unlocking the car also use the magnet to authorised it.

Coping magnet for authorised is the hardest, and it is impossible. Then, the thief can not get the car and drive away. Thief also do not want the car, but they want money or valuable things in a car that why the researchers say it "trivial" attack. Thief can only use the radio chip to prevent locking doors, so they can access the car and get your stuff.

I always double check my doors before I left the car. At first, lock my doors with immobiliser and check the signal from my car. Then, try to open the door, if it locked is okay.
__________
Reference
Car immobiliser easy to crack, say researchers. (2015, August 14).BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33906051

5 comments:

  1. As I read Ter's post, my thoughts were not about car security systems. I don't own a car, and haven't driven since I was in high school more than three decades ago (I'm not young). I hate driving and will probably never own a car, unless I retire to a country area where it's needed, which is unlikely.

    My family in Australia all have cars because they live in the country. But much as I like visiting and enjoy the beauty, the green and the quiet, one week is about enough. I like living in big cities. I loved Sydney when studied and worked there. Despite the awful pollution, I also enjoyed living in Taiwan for a couple of years in the late 1980s. I think that Taipei is much less polluted today than when I lived there. And I live in central Bangkok now because I like it. Bangkok also seems to me much less polluted than when I first visited on a holiday in 1988.

    I don't even have a license to drive these days. When I'm visiting Australia, I use public transportation and taxis in Sydney, and when I'm staying with family in the country, they kindly drive me around, which really isn't a problem for them. Even my 85 year old mum still drives every day. She usually drives to one of her clubs, where she meets her mates to eat, gamble and gossip, and to plot strategies to be elected club president. At least she doesn't drink alcohol. She might lose money gambling, but that doesn't harm anyone: I think gambling is silly, but it's fun for her, and its her money she loses.

    I was going to write about technology, which is at least related to Ter's interesting blog post, but maybe I'll do that in a comment when I'm having my morning coffee tomorrow. I've just had dinner with friends, and we shared two bottles of nice wine: I think coffee is a better drug than wine for stimulating rational thinking. Alcohol has it's benefits, but I'm sure it does not improve critical thinking. And even in small amounts, alcohol is a deadly drug when mixed with driving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After having read your comment, I just knew that you hate doing something as I do.

      I don’t like driving too and now have no own car and a license because of a few reasons. First, I live in Bangkok since I was born, and heavy traffic jam often bore me; therefore, I would not like to drive in such condition. Not mention to jam, driving in Bangkok seemed unsafe as a lot of people drives fast and are likely to break traffic laws; I am quite worried about accidents on the road. Additionally, I have trouble with recognizing routes for travelling and reading maps, making me unsure to drive in different places even though now GPS map in a car is available.

      In the future, I don’t know whether I will change my mind for driving or not. Yet, now I am satisfied with the use of public transportation in my daily life, particularly BTS or MRT.

      Delete
    2. Feem,

      I agree with you that driving in Bangkok seems to really dangerous, but I think that drivers in Bangkok are more kinder for passers than in Taiwan. In Taiwan, when I was walking on the street, even if there have a traffic light, some drivers still make me feel unsafe to across the street.

      Delete
  2. Do most cars today also have the immobilizer keys? That key always make me confuse whether it's already locked or not; nevertheless, it looks more safe and useful to the drive owners.

    However, I prefer to use public transport too, I drive a car just because if it's necessary. The cost of gasoline in Thailand is too high and I cannot bear with millions of hours which I lost toward traffic jam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, most of them have immobilizer if it was the top one. Sometimes it make me confuse, too, so I have to double check is it locked or not.
      I want to use public transport like BTS or MRT, but there are not convenience to me and I also enjoy driving.

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.