Thursday 13 August 2015

Vegemite - Australian culinary icon

Vegemite - Australian culinary icon


Jars of Vegemite


I believe only Australian people or visitors have known 'Vegemite' well as their signature, they believe that it would be healthy if they eat everyday, especially in children because it might help their children be more concentrate in studying, therefore, if you occasionally go there once, you will see this product in every house. 

According to "Australia suggests Vegemite sales limit amid 'alcohol abuse'" (2015), Australia's government says that they consider limiting the sale of Vegemite since they found it has been an ingredient to make alcohol, Brewer's yeast is the key to produce beer or ale, which causes of addiction and domestic violence problems.  

I have been tried once by my friend's mother, I never forgot the taste for all my life, bitter, sting my tongue, it was worse than hundreds of Band's chicken soup altogether. I could remember one day in the morning, her mother convinced me to try the Australian breakfast style, toast with jam, nutella, vegemite and cheese so I didn't think much, at first I just thought that vegemite was a kind of chocolate because it looked black like chocolate mousse, so I put it down on my toast in thick one and suddenly I cried, my tongue was stung and felt numb, everyone on the table teased at me and after that I just knew how to eat it correctly by scooping in a small piece like you eat Wasabi in Japanese Shushi.

When I saw this news, I thought it was hard to limit vegemite because most of Australian people have consumed it , just only least would make alcohol so the government might only reduce the stock and limit purchasing per person. 

Moreover, to limit the vegemite product because of alcohol abuse, it is not a good way to solve the problem, the direct solution is how to solve people from addicting alcohol. Putting vegemite away does not mean these people cannot find another substitute instead, so why they don't focus on the person. Do you agree with that?    





Reference

Australia suggests Vegemite sales limit amid 'alcohol abuse'. (2015, August 8). BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-33839742

11 comments:

  1. One of the things I do not miss about Australia is Vegemite. You would never find it in my house in Australia, although my mother used to keep it in hers, and I suspect she still does.

    A much tastier food characteristic of Australia is kangaroo - I always get some kangaroo steaks on my annual visits back. The other animal that shares our national crest, the emu, also tastes good, but kangaroo is much more abundant and easier to find in good restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Mei is right: if you do try Vegemite, a very little goes a long way.

      Delete
    2. A kangaroo taste, I think I have tried it once. It tastes different from pork or chicken or even lamp. However, I think it similar lamp's taste, sticky, but a kangaroo is softer, right? I don't sure because it's long time, or may be a cooker make it in well-done level. I heard that people normally cook it in medium or medium rare.

      Delete
  2. I also like that Mei's post reminds us that of the many drugs of addiction that human beings like to use, alcohol is one of the worst - certainly more harmful than yaa baa, marijuana and most other popular drugs used in Thailand and other countries.

    Perhaps it is the owners and drug dealers of Beer Singha and the like who should be put in prison for a few decades? I don't think any other drug dealers and producers cause as much harm to society as these people do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And on the topic of drugs of addiction, I'm having my morning dose of coffee a little earlier than usual today.

      Delete
  3. Which kind of useful things are in that food? Maybe I will try in once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vegemite is one kind of yeast that maintains a lot of vitamin B maybe it is better than you take some vitamin B peel but my opinion I prefer to take peel rather than this Australian culinary icon.

      Delete
  4. It is sounds like unforgettable breakfast!
    I never heard Vegemite before, may be I will try to find and taste it once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I possibly sure, you cannot forget it!

      Delete
  5. What is vegemite? That is the first thing I thought when reading your blog in this week. I just knew that it is Australian food paste. However, I’ve never tried it before, so I’m not sure if it has good taste. From your experience, you mentioned that its taste is more terrible than the combination of hundred brand’s chicken soup. Thus, I will not try surely because I don’t like chicken soup at all, and I also cannot eat it. Although brands ‘chicken soup in Thailand has presented soft favorites as their new products, I still do not eat them and try to avoid smelling too. They all smell bad for me. Thank you Mei for introducing vegemite in your post—when I have a chance to Australia, if I see it, I will have known in advance what it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. Chicken soup is my favor. When I was a child, my brother used to force me to drink it everyday. So from an unlike thing become a crazy thing. I really like it!!

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.