Thursday 17 May 2018

Never stop learning

What I read



In "Drowning at Midlife? Start Swimming" (2018), Judi Ketteler tells her new passion in swimming. She used to run, but recently she had injury in her calf and that her doctor told her to rest and stop running for a while. So, she decided to start swimming at the age of 43. Many women at her age encounter a midlife crisis from work, family and life problems. However, she refused to have one. She found that swimming and running help her surpassed stresses. She began to learn how to swim from the beginning step and keep pushing her limit. Ultimately, she set her new goal which is to achieve a triathlon at her middle age.
___________________________________ 

My response 

I admire the writer's attitude and spirit. Since I can't swim, therefore, I don't think that I can learn and swim at this age. For me, swimming is now become one of my fear and obstacle to enjoy life. For instance, I always want to do a scuba diving because I want to see a beauty of the underwater world but I can't get rid of my fear to swim in the ocean. The writer has proof that no one is too old to learn which I think it's true. Although learning new things and trying for the first time is hard but once we have a determination and endeavour to succeed a goal, I believe that nothing is impossible. Look at the writer's age! Who will think that she will do a triathlon at the age of forty.

This also remind me of my parents who are now entering a retirement stage. Especially my father, he don't have any sports or hobbies to enjoy in his free time. Therefore, I tried taking him to the gym so he can do some exercises and meet new people; however he didn't enjoy much and think that he is too old to be active. I felt really bad for him that he's not willing to try new things and limit himself. So, I will definitely tell my dad her story and try to convince him again to experience new things. 
___________________________________ 

My question

1. Do you have any things, activities and skills  that you always want to do or learn but never have a chance to do once?
2. What do you do to relieve your stress?
___________________________________ 

Reference

5 comments:

  1. Believe me, I can feel for Orn, being unable to swim . I cannot swim either but with life vest, it is decent for me to enjoy being in the sea to play around or to snorkel. Anyway, Ketteler is awesome. She must have a good courage to start doing something unfamiliar like swimming after physically being forced to quit what she loves to do. I wish, at her age, I could always do something new, do not be afraid to change for the better and can always find a new passion even after many failures. Someone told me what make a person old is not his age but his own attitude toward life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooking is one of the things I want to do, I can cook but a taste of food is too distasteful to eat. (but I have to eat it all) Two years ago I baked chocolate muffin for my grandfather, after eating I asked him whether next time I visited I'd bake more, he answered "No, I don't want more" which make me feel so sad and don't want to cook anymore. Luckily, I've change my mind after reading this, Thank you P' Orn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that swimming is a "MUST" class that my sister and my brother including me must pass. My mom is really scare of every accident related to water. So, she decided to kick everyone in my family to learn how to swim at the age of 3 years old. Yes, That's right 3 years old. It is really young age to learn how to swim. My mom kick me of every summer at YMCA. I cried everyday in front of the large swimming pool. I felt like it was like giant factory to produce children who can swim at the end of the line production. More than hundred students swam at the same pool. I remember one day I was kicked into deepest part of the swimming pool to learn how to float on the surface. My teacher called "swim like a dogs style" That's the most scare thing in the world. Can you imagine that 3 years old kid learn how to float on 10 meters deep pool without any support foam. The minute that I was in the pool, I felt like I was going to die. I did not know how to survive. After I was trying survive, I already float on the surface. I did not know why I could float. Maybe Instinct? After I could float, I never scare it again. Thank you Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are many sports I would like to try but after I fell of the bike and got a big scar on my knee when I was a kid, it becomes my big obstacle for several years because I a little afraid of being injured so I don't take any sport more serious. Even now I still afraid but I have changed my mind little by little too.
    When I feel stressed I usually listen to music with a good meaning to cheer me up but if the stress is too much, I ended up crying and I feel more relieved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments here. I also liked Orn's summary of the inspiring story, and her response. As I read, I was reminded of my mum. She's 87 and in fairly good health, but she has stopped bowling and the other things she used to do, and I think this has had been bad for her. She spends most of her time alone, and then complains about being alone! I'm sure she would be happier if she did something regularly, even if it was gambling, just so she got out and met people regularly instead of relying only on her children, who are busy with their own lives. When I'm in Australia, I see her almost every day, and she does get plenty of attention, but some passion other than complaining about the government or immigrants or whatever might make her life a bit more enjoyable.

    And as I get older, I also like to read biographies of people who achieved things relatively late in life, even if it is primarily for themselves. Swimming isn't high on my list of things to get passionate about, but perhaps it's time I sat down and wrote the philosophy book I've been planning for several years.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.