Friday 11 May 2018

Picasso's piece break the record

What I read



In "Rockefeller art auction opens with record-breaking $646m" (2018), David Rockefeller's private art collection are sold at Christie's auction house in New York by the last generation of Rockefeller family, whose grand dad is a co-founder of Standard Oil. The painting of a nude girl from Picasso is the record-breaking art piece which has been sold at $115 millions. Moreover, Monet's painting of water garden was sold at $84.7 millions, which was the highest of his piece in the history. The Rockefeller is an art collector who owned more than 1,500 pieces and their collection will be selling in the near future.
___________________________________ 

My response 

The reason I wrote about this news is because I love Arts. I have one friend who is an art curator for one Thai billionaire and she told me that his boss has more than 500 pieces of modern arts around the world. I could only imagine how much he spent on the Arts because he own many big name artist pieces in our century such as Jeff Koon, Damien Hirst and Ai weiwei. So, thinking that the Rockefeller family must be incredibly rich since they own Picasso, Monet and many more classic pieces that I could only see in the museum. However, my question to this is why the grandson of Rockefeller decided to sell these items? If I were him I would enjoy these arts and maybe open the museum to showcase our family's collection. Another comment to this is that I noticed in Thailand there're only few millionaires who appreciated in Arts. Most of rich people prefer to buy supercar, luxury condo and expensive brandname to show how wealthy they are rather than art pieces. This is why there are such little opportunity of Thai artist to grow and survive in their career. In contrast with developed countries where rich people often are an art collector and interested to invest in Arts. 
___________________________________ 

My question

What would you buy if you were billionaire? 
Do you have any favourite artist and why do you like him/her?
___________________________________ 

Reference

2 comments:

  1. If I had to pick one artist as my favourite, it would be Picasso, so Orn's post immediately interested me. It seems that everything Picasso tried from the age of about four is a masterpiece, but to be fair, he practised constantly from a very young age, so maybe there are a lot of not-so-great pieces that I've never seen. But his output was amazing, and way better than people like da Vinci and Michelangelo, great as they also were.

    I'm also an admirer of Monet, who might not have been Picasso, but was still a master.

    I also liked Orn's thoughtful comments about rich people in Thailand. I don't know whether they are much different to the super rich in my country or not. Maybe they are but it's not so well reported. In Australia, at least some rich people do collect art and thereby support artists. Many years ago, one of my friends was one of Australia's great artists, although originally from the US. When I first met him, he wasn't so successful, but his work was great, and eventually Brett Whitely was recognized as the best artist working in Australia. Unfortunately, he had other problems and committed suicide in 1992 when he was at the height of his fame. He might not have been Picasso, but he was also a great artist, and it was the recognition he got from interested rich people that allowed him to pursue his passion of creating great art. I'm afraid other aspiring artist friends have not done so well. Excellence in any field seems to me to take both talent and a lot of very hard, sustained work, however easy Picasso makes it look, and Shakespeare, who could apparently dash off a masterpiece of literature overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read Kan's post on tattoos again, and was reminded that my youngest sister's first tattoo was a design from a Brett Whitely painting. I wonder how many people have chosen to adorn themselves with some of Picasso's ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.