Thursday 8 July 2010

The Art of Failure



At the beginning of November last year, I was confronted by a major disappointment. This story is related to my first TOEFL exam, for which I had prepared for more than six months. I am still able to feel the sensation of nervousness, pressure and stress on that day and because of these feelings, I received a very bad mark. At first, it did not occur to me that my disappointment would teach me a valuable lesson. Since then, however, I have attempted to rationalise why I received such a terrible mark. Even though I am generally quite optimistic, I started to ask myself some negative questions. Fortunately, I came across an article by Malcom Gladwell named Why some people choke and others panic and it provided the answer for which I was looking.

Gladwell claims that there are two kinds of reactions to pressure and stress. Firstly, to explain what choking is, he cites om Daniel Willingham, a psychologist at the University of Virginia, who compares the two different learning systems, "explicit and implicit learning". Explicit learning happens when people learn new things consciously while implicit learning occurs when they do what they have learnt without thinking. Willingham says:“Under conditions of stress, however, the explicit system sometimes takes over. That's what it means to choke.”Secondly, panicking, which is at times called “perceptual narrowing”, takes control of people by making them concentrate and obsess on only the task in hand. Gladwell, therefore, concludes that panic, in this sense, is the opposite of choking. Choking is about thinking too much; Panic is about thinking too little. Choking is about loss of instinct; Panic is reversion to instinct. Besides, Gladwell points out that in certain situations, being choked is more beneficial than being panicked. When it comes to succeeding on a standardised test, should students focus on their result, they will lose the intuitions that help them. In other words, they will think too much, which means they are reverting to the explicit mode, according to the article. Gladwell reaches paradoxical conclusion that “sometimes a poor test score is the sign not of a poor student but of a good one”.

Having leant the distinction between "choking" and "panicking", I have the explanation for my disappointing TOEFL result. Although Gladwell does not describe how to switch from “choking” to “panicking” and vice versa, I am of the opinion that meditation can prevent the unnecessary stress and pressure that I experience in some situations because it allows me to calm myself. This will enable me to think clearly and make judicious decisions under any circumstances. Moreover, I could avoid being worried about possible outcomes by leaving my predicament in the laps of the gods, but I ought to focus on the task in hand and do my best. Besides, I believe that if I work harder and practise meditation every day, it will become second nature, or because, as the saying goes "practice makes perfect". No matter how difficult the challenge, I will be able to surmount it. I have realised that not only do I have the explanation for my problems, but also I have learnt that not being either “choked or “panicked” is the best solution for any tasks that I have to perform under pressure.


References

Gladwell, M. (2009) Why some people choke and others panic. What the Dog saw. New York: Penguin

13 comments:

  1. "Practice every day until it becomes almost second nature" (¶ 3) sounds right to me.

    Like other skills, reading and writing are learnt by practising them, by actually reading and writing. You would not expect to be able to play the piano or football just by studying rules about music or the techniques used by Beckham - good players practice every day, they sit at the piano and play something challenging, or they get out onto a field and kick balls around against opponents.

    That's why we need to read and write every day, and critically assess what we read and what we write. For academic English, arguing in an academic style forces us to use the skills that TOEFL tests for because those are the skills needed in all academic work: stating a position clearly, supporting that position using appropriate strategies, and replying to opposing ideas, and there are always opposing ideas in every area of academic work.

    Practising reading and writing on a blog is a slightly less demanding field than an essay or a TOEFL exam.

    I would suggest that when you write a response comment that you:
    1. decide what you want to say, and then
    2. write for at least five minutes without stopping. State your idea, and then continue. It doesn't matter if you drift around a bit, but write more than one short, informal sentence.

    And if you have a chance to get into a serious argument, go for it! Arguments are what academic life is all about.

    (Argument does not mean a shouting match or abusive language. It means presenting your idea and supporting it against other ideas that you think are wrong or not as good as yours for some reason.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. But sometimes one short sentence is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are, however, severe limits on how much you can do in one sentence, just as we saw in our discussion on Monday that there are limits on what you can do in one paragraph. A single sentence or a single paragraph doesn't give you much scope to state and support your ideas on a topic.

    Quest does a reasonable job of teaching you about a range of different sorts of paragraph, but then you have to put them together into an essay to really express your opinion on something. What seems to me the main weakness in Quest is that it does not ask you write a single essay before level 6, and that is much too late.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the title.
    It perfectly reflects the content of your post, and cleverly suggests other famous titles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peter

    Thank you very much for your invaluable suggestion.

    Also, I think every day I step closer to the world of academia by taking chances to participate in some intellectual discussions

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree about practicing, and this is exactly the same in Iddhipadafrom Buddha teaching which tell the way how to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Petchy, your article is awesome. It's very interesting especially for people who wanna go abroad, student who is about to have an exam, and white collar worker who must present their work to the board. I also like your opinion that "practice makes perfect". I always believe in the same way as you, and that's why I applied to this class.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Petch that keeping your head cool is the best strategy in doing an examination. I also got a disappointing result in GMAT due to being choked. Being choked or panicked equally impair the ability of our mind. Dan Ariely also discusses the performance of working under pressure in his book "The Upside of Irrationality", in a slightly different point from Malcom. He points out that people who work on the task requiring physical strength can work under more pressure than those with work requiring more mental effort.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ho
    p'liu how are you long time no see.
    It is an honour to know that you have read my article, lol

    how about your school, when are you leaving ?

    You should have come and studied with me.

    Anyway, thanks for recommeding a fastinating research. I will read it !

    ReplyDelete
  10. "that's why I applied to this class " Tum, What do you mean ?

    I agree the idea that "practice makes perfect" , but I prefer " practice smart makes perfect " because something requires more than only do it repeatedly to improve your skill or may take longer period of time to success.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Taey,
    What does "practise smart" entail?
    It think I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an beneficial article which provides insightfulness to many people. It is true that having anxiety can never harm you unless you are able to deal with it effectively. This significantly reminds me Buddha's teaching called "The Middle Way". Choking and panick, in this case, represent two extremely different polars. Meditation, as Petch suggested, is an effective passage that will lead us to the balance of the poles. This kind of information,I am of the opinion, is an obvious example of how to see things critically. You find the weakness of each response, connection between them and consequences that probably occur. With this kind of thinking, we can fix the problem from the root and come up with the solutions more easily.Thank Petch to bring the article to our attention and give me a chance to review related past of my experiences.
    p.s. I strongly agree with Taey that practice and wisdom should work together like gasoline and engine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing all the ideas and experience. This have motivaed me to do the same as you guys.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.