Friday 2 July 2010

Movie may come true.

I am always interested in healthy information because it is fundamental of people who have a happy life. Anyway, today, I found interesting one which is “Women freeze eggs to wait for 'Mr Right'” reported by the BBC News. It reminds me to one of my favorite movie.

In the news, Emma Wilkinson reports about a study of women in Belgian who would like to freeze their eggs waiting for soul mate because they want to pay attention on a career before they become a mother. They have to do this before forty years ago due to how it is succeed in fertilization and better quality of eggs. However, this requires new modern technologies and expensive expense.

Have you ever seen the movie Gattaga (1997)? It is one of my favorite movies. The story which occurs in the future is about a man who wants to complete his dream by going out to the space. In that time, people in society is classified by perfect DNA and normally have baby by modifying a genetic. However, he is treated as underclass and lack of opportunity to follow his dream because he was born in naturally traditional way. Now, you will see how connect between the news and my favorite movie. Both are no longer required old fashion method. I also google and find out that we are capable to choose a baby gender according to article “Can You Choose Baby Gender” from suite101.com. This is shown that we will be capable to do more adjust DNA as the movie does in the short future. Anyway, my point is, should we do that? I mean it sounds like we do against the nature rules, or it can say we are doing as God’s work. I do not have exact answer yet and do not know how consequence they are, but I feel we should not do. The reason that I can think of is people are not unique as usual anymore.
__________
References

Carter, M. (2009, Sep 18). Can You Choose Baby Gender?. suite101.com. Retrieved July 1, 2010 from http://pregnancychildbirth.suite101.com/article.cfm/can_you_choose_baby_gender

Wilkinson, E. (2010, June 28). Women freeze eggs to wait for 'Mr Right'. BBC News. Retrieved July 1, 2010 from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/10419076.stm

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you that changing human DNA is against natural rules and there are always the consequences for the thing we’ve done. This really makes me wonder what is going to happen to us in the future. However, I’m not quite sure I understand your idea in the last sentence. Do you mean there will be other species apart from Homo sapiens?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I see what you means and sorry about confusing of sentence. What I tried to say is mistake makes you unique such as when you have scar, big nose or whatever special in your face, it makes you are only one in the world. But if you can adjust DNA and you can decide what your child looks like, how tall it is, or whatever the best, then how your child become unique because all parents want the best for their child too, so that why people in the future from I thought, they are the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way Book makes the connection between the article in BBC News and the movie Gattaga, which I also enjoyed when it came out.

    Googling for a bit more information was also a good idea - it isn't necessary, but it's something I often do when I'm reading and thinking about an article, and it's so easy to Google if you're already online.

    Finally, the other thing that I really like in Book's post is his response to the articles he summarizes, where he asks very thought provoking questions about the issues raised as well as outlining his own concerns, which sound very much like moral concerns to me; that is, worries about what should or should not, may or may not be done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't agree to control the human DNA because it is the way to make artificial people. I'm also afraid to use morally bad way or happen some crime. Anyway, parents who use this control will be satisfied with kids, but I'm not sure the children can make a happy life or not

    ReplyDelete
  5. This controversial issue is difficult to accept for you guys because it's unprecedented, isn't it? According to your discussion, many of you challange this article since it's not following the natural way, right?

    Sorry to disagree with, in my opinion, I don't see any problem from this innovation at all. First of all, if people can choose the best one for our society, what's the problem? Many of genious generations will work together for create the best technology for this planet. Today's world problem such as global warming, the extinction of many specious, limitation of fuel, or so on will dissapear very easy by their brains, which is occered from selecting DNA technology.

    Secondly, if our society contains many of educated people, who are full of knowledge and great moral in their mind, crimes or anything that are afraided by Yoko will not be happened also.

    Lastly, our children will not be the same, if we rule such thing. It's the same idea with how to generate email account. According to a Radicati Group study from August 2008, there are about 1.3 billion email users worldwide, and all of them are difference. We're homosapian. Thank to our creativity brains, We are able to create our children in different way. Anyway, I think this is not the important point, indeed.

    That's why I wonder that all of you dislike this useful technology. In my view, this is very awesome. Don't you want to be smart? Don't you want to be beautiful or handsome? and DNA selection can solve our desire perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.