Thursday 8 July 2010

The Net Is Not Just For The Young


Thirteen years ago, when I went online for the first time, I still remembered how fascinating it was. Now Internet has become a part of our generations’ lives and those of Peter’s generation (I’m not being sarcastic). Apart from, doing businesses, searching for information, communicating with friends, it is also be used as a great source for entertainment. Anyway, what about the previous generations? Has your grandpa ever surfed Internet?

According to the article “The net is not just for the young” (2010) in BBC, May 21st was set up as Silver Surfers' Day in the UK since 2001. In this year, more than 1,500events were hold to introduce and encourage older people to use Internet. For elderly people, it is seen as a complicated and uninteresting thing. Therefore, those events was aimed to get them to be familiar with it by showing them how easy it was to use it to do things they like such as finding the songs they remember or sending old photo to families’ member.

As I was reading the article, I realized how selfish I was as I had never thought of introducing Internet to my elderly family members before. My 86-year-old grandma may be a little too old, but who know she might enjoy it and never feel lonely again. Also, my 69-year-old dad and 58-year-old mom can use some of their free time entertaining themselves listening to their favorite kinds of music or chatting to their friends and never complain me for spending a lot of time on Internet again. Although it might take time to get them used to new technologies, I think it is a good idea to try as I also agree with Book (2010) that it is never too old to learn.


References

Book. (2010, July 7). Never too old to learn. Class Blog - AEP at AUA. Retrieved July 8, 2010 from
http://peteraep.blogspot.com/2010/07/never-too-old-to-learn.html

The net is not just for the young (2010, May 19). BBC News. Retrieved July 7, 2010 from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10126880.stm

1 comment:

  1. I so agree with you that Internet may help the elderly enjoy their lives, but thay have to be careful about the posture when surfing the Internet. Sitting in a wrong position can cause them a real pain, which later may need an opperation for their back or shoulders.

    Apart from physical concern, I think this technology do no harm for the "silver surfer"

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.