Friday 2 July 2010

Thinking Green: New breed internal combustion engines



Thinking of Green machine, people might think of an electric motor which produces less pollution and green house gases than the old fashion cylinder-piston Internal Combustion Engine (ICE). Recently there are a lot of improvements on the old fashion ICE in order to increase its fuel efficiency and reduce the amount of green house gases it produces. I always imagine of a better ICE that gives a lot of power and emit no pollution at all, that’s why I want to study in deep on this article.

The article said that, recently there are several pioneers to recover the energy that lost in a combustion process of ICE, for example, heat and kinetic energy. The improvement is done by adding some special equipment to do that job, even redesign the whole new engine. First is done by Controlled Power Technologies by fitting a turbine inside the tailpipe of the car. The fast-moving exhaust gases coming straight from the engine drive the turbine generating electricity. The Electricity which created by this process will fed back into the car's battery to power its on board electrical systems so that it can reduce the fuel consumption by up to 15 per cent, said Guy Morris, engineering director. Second is done by a team led by car maker Jaguar. The idea is to capture the kinetic energy created when the car is break by connecting a flywheel to the car’s wheels. When the driver slow down, the flywheel will be used to recover the rotational energy of the wheels and store it as kinetic energy. When more power is needed the system works in reverse. The team claims that the system will reduce fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions by more than 30 per cent. Lastly, IRIS engineering introducing the IRIS Engine which it combustion chamber is design to use more of the engine's surface area to produce motion, as a result fuel efficiency increase up to 45 per cent compare to the traditional cylinder-piston engine. Said IRIS's CEO Levi Tillemann-Dick

Today technology must have a great characteristic in both performance and environmental friendly. I wonder if the world’s leading car production company will consider using those high performance and environmental friendly engine in their car, it will create a great reduction of the green house gases produce to the world’s atmosphere. Thank to the curious and intensely ambitious of the engineers, who never give up to beat the old frontier, bring the world to the new era, which we have never imagine of, and there is only one way to find out, living it.
_________ 
Refference_
Knight, H. (2010, April 13). Green machine: Rethinking internal combustion engines. New Scientist. Retrieved July 2, 2010 11.00 from http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18769-green-machine-rethinking-internal-combustion-engines.html

9 comments:

  1. Good God...Finally It finished. It took me a couple of hours to do. Doing this thing is a tough assignment especially with one those who not do it regularly. Hope it is not bothering you guy that much. Gott mit uns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple hours!
    That's too long. How long are others spending on this?

    I hope that since we are doing these regularly that the time taken will come down a lot. I think about 30 - 40 minutes should be more than enough.

    I have to admit, A's comment @ July 2, 2010 1:51 AM has interested me more than car engines. In fact, I might add a note to my daily lesson plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But having mentioned my general disinterest in car engines, A did get my interest when he mentioned green house gases. I'm not sure how much they are worth worrying about, and a lot of the proposed solutions to the possibility of global warming seem to me badly directed and positively harmful in the economic harm they could cause.

    But I very much like the idea of anything that makes the air in cities such as Bangkok cleaner and healthier. I walk to and from AUA every day, and the bit where I cut through Lumpini Park is very pleasant, but the bit along Silom Road is not so nice.

    And if the cars can be made silent, I'll be even happier. And the awful motorbikes that I sometimes feel should be exterminated.

    It appears I had more to say in response to the issues A raises than I thought. But I'm still worried about that "couple of hours".

    ReplyDelete
  4. This video clip is silent, isn't it? I cann't hear anything from your vedio post. or my speaker is out of order?

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I've just realised that something odd has happened.

    What's the problem?
    What caused it?
    What's the solution?

    I can correct it, but we want to be clear about what has happened first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is no problem in it. I just surprised that the engineer use the concept "Co-generator" which being use in a power plant apply to the automobile. The engineer, again, apply the concept "collect kinetic energy" which being use in an automatic watch, apply to the automobile. lastly the extraordinary IRIS engine is very new type of ICE which not only more fuel efficiency, but also efficiency up. It gives approximately "double" of the to day ICE(theoretically). All of those are the engineering ingenuity. It seems to me like a great discovery of the Nano Technology which it will change the face of the world we are living in forever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I wasn't clear. I don't think there is any problem with the article or your writing. But the formatting was unusual (that was what I meant by "something odd has happened"), and caused another problem on the page.

    I've also made a similar comment on Natt's recent post, so you might like to read our discussion there.

    Did you also write your text in MS WOrd or somewhere else, and then paste it in to the blog? That's what I'm guessing happened.

    The embedded video was a bit wide, but that didn't worry me, even though it was what prompted me to experiment this morning with teh Sandel video; having a video hang over the edge a bit doesn't matter a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A,
    I've just changed the formatting to remove an unclosed HTML tag that was causing the whole page, including all the other posts, to display oddly.

    I changed the format only. I did not change any of your text. All of your words are exactly the same as before.

    Please add a comment if you have any question about this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did write it on MS word before I pasted it in the blog, and after I red your mail about the video clip display size, I came by to edited the Video size. I hope it might be OK. It took me that long because at first I try to dealt with another one which it too Da_n long, then I decided to change to shorter one after all. Thanks for your suggestion and correction.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.