Thursday 1 July 2010

Less awareness or stupidity

Nowadays MP3 player, electronic personal organizer or mobile phone are basic necessity that we can't live with out. From adult to teenager must have one of them. How much are those gadgets affect to our everyday live? How distracting they can be? I think this article is quite interesting for me because I am the one who put an earphone on and shut myself off from the world around me, but never realize how dangerous it would be when attention was divided.

According to The report of BBC News. In Australia, most of road accident are caused by cyclists who ride while listening to ipods and pedestrians who have headphones plugged into both ears or send text messages while they where walking on the street. They mostly become "inattentional blindness." No law to stop people on using of headphone while walking or cycling on the street. So, there is the increase of the accidents causes by this matter.

I agree with this matter that it is a serious problem. Due to an increasing rate. I don't believe that people can do many things in the same time with fully attention. Especially when people use their though, they quite in state of trance. Problem is that people never aware of the fact that can be vital and could cause their life. Once I was in the car which my friend was driving. He kept typing on his sms while he was driving and he didn't realize that some accident might occur in any second when he left his eyes off the road.

So I think that launching campaign about this problem alone might not be enough. May be increasing the fine or punishment in this problem to be as serious as 'drink and drive' might make people more aware in street earphone using. For me this irresponsible behavior is as serious as inattentional causing people injury same as not so careful driver.
__________
References
Nick Bryant. (2010, July 1). How dangerous is it to walk, talk and listen? BBC News. Retrieved July 1, 2010 from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/asia_pacific/10463227.stm

10 comments:

  1. I like your choice of article. It's one that I might have chosen myself. I thought of a lot of things as I was reading it.

    I wonder if any of our responses were similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This news reminds me of my car accident last year. I was waiting for the green sinal, and another car suddenly hit my car's tail. I found out that the driver was listening to his MP3 and sleeping !!!. It is really annoying T_T.

    Waiting for the rest of your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think, the problem dose not only come from MP3 device, but anyone who use it must be aware for safety first. The music is very useful for mankind and it can make the world so meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, I am a person who listens so loud music when I walk on a street or anywhere.

    We have some laws for this kind of problems in Japan.

    For example, we can't listen an ipod or that kind of things, and we also can't use a cellphone on a bicycle.
    If you do this, you must pay the penalty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I don't believe that people can do many things in the same time with fully attention" (¶ 3).

    I agree. For example, it's very hard to listen to people and read a text at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like two sides of coin when you use technology.
    I mean it makes you comfortable, but lack of awareness will causes you injure or die.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't wanna be lonely, but I've to share a very closely article with your topic in my post. Moreover, it's absolutely convince what Peter and Pu believe which is "I don't believe that people can do many things in the same time with fully attention" (¶ 3).

    The article begin with the situation that Kitty, the university's student, was sitting in her sofa while doing her thesis and post Facebook simultaniously, listening music from her Ipod occationally, chatting BB with her friend, and watching TV (occationally also) at the same time. She was blamed by her parents for the reason that it's impossible way to work. However, in this article, I found later that her parents were wrong. Multitasking, which is occered especially amoung teenagers, are not only protect them from alzheimer, but also make them smarter because their brain got training all the time. "It's also the part of the brain that gets a tough workout when you're multitasking. When Kitty is switching between open windows on the computer, looking up a Spanish word on the internet for her thesis, and reading a text in BB, she has to hold the details in her working memory." (Burne, 2010 March, P.103, ¶ 1)

    In fact, I don't like multitasking also because I believe that I cann't fully pay my attention on what I'm doing, but I just want to shere another academic writing which is not the same idea with Pu's article.

    Reference:
    Burne, J. (2010, March). How to change your mind. Readers Digest, 98-104

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, I tried to italic the book's name, Reader Digest, but I couldn't. It might dissatisfy Peter a little bit. So sorry Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the word "unintentional blindness". I think it completely explains all hazard that can happen when you are using those gadgets. Actually, they are very useful but they have to be attached with the condition of "right time and right place". I am the one who finds it's difficult to concentrate on something if there are any signs of distraction(so I do agree with p'pu and peter). I accept that multitasking is an effective practice. But the real question is which one do you genuinely concern-quantity or quality?

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.