Tuesday 13 July 2010

Facebook and Russian

My classmates and I had lunch together on Monday. One of the topics that we were talking about is the social network. I thought it would make people relationship worse. For the reason, people decreasingly meet together, and text via social network may not completely express your feeling. However, I do not refuse that some occasions such as people live different country, help people keeping in touch. Anyway, when I saw Facebook as a part of title in the article from BBC News, I certainly chose this topic.

The article is about Facebook who drives data usage via mobile phone in Russia. Konstantin Rozhnov reports by giving a background of mobile user’s behavior which commonly use pre-pay – pay per use such as calling, text message and data usage. The reasons are most Russian’s lack of credit or debit and the business model in that period. Furthermore, the reporter tells about increasing of buying 3G phones which make people tend to use data transfer to surf the net, But pre-pay type is not right choice as pay per data transfer which is very expensive, the contract plan with unlimited using data is much better. Therefore, the mobile operators expect more contract customers and hope that Facebook, the social network will help.

Before I read the article, I expected that this article may be not relevant to my attention and I am right. It does not matter what the content is, because this is response writing. Anyway, in the article, I’m very surprise that many people in Russia are lack of credit or debit. It sounds like their economy is really not going very well from I thought. They used to be number one or two of leading in space projects. As you know, the space projects need a lot of money to support, so I think Russia economy should not be bad. Anyway, at least, I know a little bit more about Russia.
__________
References
Rozhnov, K. (2010, July 7). Facebook eyes mobile phones to drive Russian expansion. BBC News. Retrived July 13, 2010 from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/10537073.stm

3 comments:

  1. Facebook is haunting me again!
    Actually, there is nothing wrong with it.It is all my fault to be a low-tech person. The article is another obvious example to show how influential the social network is todays. The world now is so small and flat. It will soon to be as tiny as an atom molecule,eventually. I doubt what is left for our personal space?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard before that in Russia the cost of liveing is very expensive. So it's not so strange about this news, it's possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is no one's fault ple. I have no face book and any kind of social network except this happy blog, which I very much enjoy and I am able to live my life perfectly fine.

    This be may the reason that no matter the world has become flat, I still have my personal space as usual and I think I do have friends.... may be putting "a few" before friends is more appropriate.

    We invent the technology, so we must lead it not that it leads us.

    Ps. maybe you and I are a special case!

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.