Monday 12 July 2010

What is the real?


For the very first time, this illusory motion suddenly captures my attention. Not only did it have a bizarre style of movement, it gave me a headache and dizziness which I had to blink my eyes a couple of time to get rid of the symptoms. While you are looking at it, the "snakes" are rotating, right? Now, I want you to hold your gaze steady on one of the black spot on the center of a snake. Is there a change happening? Does the motion begin to slow down or even stop? After reading the article that followed, I found it really interesting and intriguing. Surprisingly, the illusion is not a moving motion at all. It, on the other hand, is only a stationary picture which has no need of Flash Player's operation. How possible that the fact is true? This effect is called a false impression of our perception. Unquestionably, this is an obvious example to show how soundly realistic our eyes can be in order to trick us.

From Scientific American, the article is the first piece of a new Mind Matters series on the neuroscience of illusion edited by Jonah Lehrer. It presents the notion that "everything we experience is actually a figment of our imagination"(2010,¶2). The belief have been created by
neuroscientists who use an essential tool called "visual illusion". Presumably, the tool can ascertain "the dissociation between the physical reality and the subjective perception of an object or event"(2010,¶4) in human's perceiving. Despite the fact that "the real and the imagined share a physical source in the brain"(2010,¶2), dreams, delusions and failings of memory happen to us all the time. Often, we see something which are not there or believing in some details that do not actually exist. According to what visual illusions demonstrating, it can be assured that "the brain can fail to recreate the physical world"(2010,¶4).

After finish reading the article, I gain some useful insights as follows:

-Firstly, the information in the article reminds me Peter's response writing on Flashbulb memories (which this time I am 100% sure that my memory did not trick me). I think this is same kind of idea about our perception. Inevitably, it is always distorted and twisted in many forms. Some can be realized but some is far beyond our awareness. This can lead to many unexpected dangers.

-Second, related to the first one, perception can turn to be another kind of distraction. It can easily convince you that a red poisonous drink is a watermelon juice. According to a Buddha's teaching, being conscious in every step of life is the best preparation for this case, also. Therefore, we should have critical response on what we are experiencing and sometimes be cynical.

-Lastly, with all of my respect, I impressively appreciate Socrates' wisdom reflected by his quote “All I know is that I know nothing.” It make me wonder that the difference between the known and unknown is very subtle (actually, I began to doubt that "am I real?" too).

p.s. The link I provided also have a showcase of five illusions that probably amaze you. There are useful explanations about their function. Hope you enjoy diging deep how tricky your brain is.

__________
References

Martinez-Conde, S. & Macknik, S. (2008, May 28). The Neuroscience of Illusion. Scientific American. Retreived July 12,2010 from http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-neuroscience-of-illusion

5 comments:

  1. Apple, your article reminds me to one of friend's favorite artist who is M.C. Escher. His work is similar to what your picture illusion is.

    I also agree that "visual illusion" is relate to the experience. Have you ever see "this picture"? In that image, there are two kind of pictures. What do you see? From the researcher, only children will see one picture, but for adult can see both picture, and the first picture that popup are different from the children. I do not want tell you a picture is, so tell me what you see, the see the "answer. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is a great illusion.

    My favourite is the one with the green cylinder on the checked board. Even after I'd snipped the A and B squares and placed them side by side so that it was obvious that they really were exactly the same colour, I still could not see that in the original image directly above them.
    The tilted lines are also impressively deceptive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Book,
    Innocent dolphins. What else!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter, I agree with you. I've only seen dolphins in P'Book's link. What else can I see? :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. ..... where are the dolphins ?

    Perhaps,I need to be more focused !

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.