Saturday 3 July 2010

When did you have last good night’s sleep?

_____

Have you ever tried really hard to sleep well and you still could not do it? Set good bedroom environment, exercise a lot, and other good sleep hygiene habits are popular recommendations that people who have poor quality sleep would get when they ask other people for suggestions. However, many people, including myself, still cannot have great sleep even if they did all of those activities. Therefore, when I saw the title “When Good Sleep Habits Aren’t Enough” from The New York Times’s web site, it immediately catches my attention.

According to this article, Dr. Michael Thorpy and Shelby Freedman Harris of the Sleep-Wake Disorders Center at Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx stated that sleep hygiene is the basic solution for all people to have good night’s sleep; nevertheless they cannot help people who have more persistent insomnia. In order to cope with more obstinate insomnia, there are two possible options, which are cognitive-behavior therapy for insomnia (CBT-I) and drug for insomnias. While cognitive-behavior therapy, which is short-term therapy that will focus on particular physical and behavioral factors, is first line for insomnia’s treatment, many well-known sleeping pills can be really helpful and have a few side effects. In short, when you have better sleeping condition, you might quit from using medicine and use only behavior methods to preserve well sleep to stay with you.

After I read this article, I feel disappointed because it just confirmed that seeing a clinician is the best way to solve the poor sleeping problem. I might have too much expectation to find some secret tips to have good night’s sleep. Cognitive-behavior therapy for insomnia might sound interesting for me and other people who do not want to use medicine for treatment. However, I am going to study aboard in a few weeks, so I do not have time to take additional course. Fortunately, I do not think that I have more obstinate insomnia. That is, I do not think that I need to use the two alternative options in the article. I would try to search for other ways to help with my sleeping problem and hope that I would have my luck for my next sleeping time.

_
References

When Good Sleep Habits Aren’t Enough, (2010, July 2). The New York Time. Retrieved July 2, 2010 from http://consults.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/02/when-good-sleep-habits-arent-enough/?ref=health

7 comments:

  1. This article is very interesting indeed. I, at times, have a difficulty sleeping when I am stress. Thus, I try not to think too much by noting and planning everything that might be solutions to the problem so that I can reconsider them later. Meditation is also a good way to help me relax as well as reading, especially some boring books! (Obviously not Lord of the Files because it is so revealing that I can’t put it down)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that my suggestions somehow and someway help you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have same ideas as Petch. Stop thinking is very effective way but it is actually hard to do if you have stress. Mediation may be the easy way to make you easy to fall asleep. For me, I try to do exercise about 3 days per week and prey before going to bed which will help me relax as if it will tell your body and brain to prepare sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have sleeping troubles sometimes, too. Most of those periods, I think, are caused by excessive worries about our lives, works, or relationships. If you cannot do anything about it, just let it go. That's what I do. Like Taey and you said, reading, praying,and meditation is great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just don't think too much and empty your mind! This is the best way I think. I can't do that anyway. That's why I'm still up.
    Night night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This article remind to what I studied in level 4 of speaking and listening and Grant was a teacher. He gave a video about "10 things you need to know about sleep" that you can find out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixRHtVwqnhE&feature=related. Please take a look and you may apply the technique to yourself for sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol P'Book, I just finished that video in last week.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.