Saturday 3 July 2010

How long have you expected to live?


Actually this article is not my choice to post on the blog, however it seem to be more academic than other one. Moreover, some ideas in the article relate to earlier response post from Book about perfect DNA. So what is a perfect DNA? Most people may think about advance technology or modified genetic that make our human are more smarter, healthier or even stronger. Expectedly, to live longevity maybe also the most wished for almost everyone to live. Scientists from Boston University who study the New England Centenarian reported that genetic test might indicate who will be a centenarian.

When someone live longer than others, for 100 years old or more, might make you curious that how could that be. According to geneticist, Paola Sebastiani, she compare the DNA that were taken between the participants in the New England Centenarian Study, the study on ageing people in Boston area, and normal-aged people. Then she generated the information into a computer model, and found 150 genetic markers are used and specific bits of DNA scattered around 23 pairs of human chromosomes that would predict who will be able to live long. Although, only 77 percent is accurate, the result also let the geneticist to identify the pattern of gene that affect the older people’s disease. Besides, the accuracy of the test, Sebastiani also worried about that people who know the test and likely to live to 100 might stop taking care their health. So the test might not suitable for the markets or for hospitals to take such a test.


After I read this article, I think it would be a very big leap to get close to be truth like movie’s plot Gattaga. By researching the differences of gene on normal- aged people and centenarian maybe take a long time to understand how complicated they are. I, personally, never imagine to live such that long because worry about health and diseases. This group of centenarian they not only live long but also have good healthy. Moreover, the criteria of this study are age more than 105 and their family members. (Boston University, 2010, ¶1) So I really wonder and amazed about this group of people, they might be our future to have this life span.


_________
References

Palca, J. (2010, July 2). Who will live to be 100? Genetic test might tell. NPR. Retrieved July 3, 2010 from http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128239173


Boston University (2010, July 2). New England Centenarian Study. Boston University,School of Medicine Retrieved July 3, 2010 from http://www.bumc.bu.edu/centenarian/

4 comments:

  1. What did you think of Akira's response to a very similar article?

    Which source do you prefer? Why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, how it happen? Me and Akira selected it from different sources, and my news is really up to date than his article.

    Anyway I'm not sure how to write the second references, is that right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree with the researchers that this breakthrough can be double-edged sword for people. Moreover, if people response with the information positively, this would better their lives. I, however, think that even though I am quite an optimist, I would not want to know that how long I can live because first it would spoil my life like a story that I have already know the ending. Secondly, death is inevitable; therefore, we should live our lives as if it was the last day. Just focus on NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never think about living longer at all. As P'Nid said, I worry about my health and disease leading to the struggle in my last period of life. I hold an believe that no matter how long your life are, genetics plays just small part to your longer life. Other aspects seem to be more reasonable to make you stay longer such as living pattern, living atmosphere even luck. However, the article makes me think more positive that sometimes, I afraid of over the top about DNA, genetic disease or disability, but now I feel like more interested in DNA.
    Ps. Science seems to be very far from me.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.