Friday 2 July 2010

Small feet = Pretty face?

What will you look for when you choose one to be your lover? It is undeniable that the physical character must be a part reminding you before choosing the proper one. Would not it be good if the size of some specific organs could tell you how attractive his/her is?

“Which face is more attractive? If you chose the face on the left, you share the tastes of most heterosexual men. It is a composite face, or "morph", made from the faces of eight women with unusually small feet. The face on the right is a morph of eight women with unusually large feet (Bob Holmes, 2010, ¶1).

In the article “why men are attracted to women with small feet”, Jeremy Atkinson, psychologist, and his colleague Michelle Rowe show us that narrow hip, long thigh and short foot make women become more attractive and more feminine by morphing women faces. Atkinson also adds supporting reasons that shortness and stoutness result from woman’s tough beginnings, stress and lack of nutrition, consequently affecting sex hormone levels which control her face and body. In terms of men, due to good genes for their children, female choose morphs of men with long torsos as being more attractive, and, indeed, women claim the small wrist as a better candidate for a long-term relationship.

At first glance, I was enticed by this title and I think almost all of men are in the same wave-length as me, aren’t they? I think studying physical pattern also provide us in a lot of features to develop our life such as genetic pattern, behavior analysis and cognitive tools, but I was wondering why scientists always try to give universal judgments in the aspects based on each person’s preference. In other words, beauty is sensitive, delicate and untouchable. Stereotype, generally speaking, is quite a bad idea to judge people leading to my concern how we treat women you don’t prefer. We all know that this problem pervaded in all societies like, in the past, a good looking girl was chosen to be a lady the court but other girls had strictly right to be only slaves or servants. Moreover, nowadays, beautiful girls have more opportunities in career than other ones such as air hostage, salesman, reception and so on.

Does discrimination still exist?

_________
References
Holmes, B. (2010, July 2). Why men are attracted to women with small feet. New Scientist. Retrieved July 2, 2010 from http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn19118-why-men-are-attracted-to-women-with-small-feet.html

12 comments:

  1. From my thought, it does have discrimination, but it does not have much as before. And I also think that some occupations have a reason to hire a good looking girl such as presenter. And my reasons is similar to when I see two products as the same quality but different package, I usually buy a better beautiful package, so I do not count this kind of professional as discrimination. On the other hand, a person who is good looking no matter male or female also has disadvantage. For example, if you are good appearance and find a soul mate, so how you will know that the person who you are seeing like you because what inside you are, not what your appearance is. That’s all my idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P'Taey ! I can't assess your link

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry. it works now from your article but not your referrences

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is being an "air hostage, salesman, reception" (¶ 4) much of a career? If those are the options, that sounds more like putting unpleasantly low expectations on the career options open to beautiful women. Surely they deserve the chance to be engineers, CEOs, scientists, chefs, and the like as much as unattractive males or anyone else.

    I liked Book's view on the disadvantages of being good looking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading your article, I think that it is normal for both genders to prefer a certain type of characteristics due to many reasons. For example, In Thailand, many female teenagers fascinate Korean-style males. if only one part of your appearances is similar to such type(long hair covering your face), you stand a chance winning their hearts.

    Also, as you asked whether discrimination still exists or not? Please look at my respond in "A question about language and culture" posted by Peter http://peteraep.blogspot.com/2010/07/question-about-language-and-culture.html

    Ps. I chose the face on the right. Maybe, I do not qualify for a group of “heterosexual male students”!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P'Book's idea is very reasonable. I agree with that sometimes beauty can make other people looking down on like usually we classify pretty presenter do her job because she is an uneducated person.

    In my view, discrimination is around us. We cannot deny and don't know why doing different to others,human, animal or other living things, but my concern is the level of discrimination. I used to think about sometimes the words are wrong. We treat everything or every person differently but the important part is that we do not have the words to state our ideas. For example, I treat my dog different from other dogs but all dogs are treated altered form people ,or racism may treat Asian people detrimental than black people ,but both kind of people are treated with discrimination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. P'Book, you'll know that your girl-friend likes you because of your good-looking or her heart when the time pass.

    For me, time always change everything but true love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. luckily, I haven't had dinner before I read P'tum's response.

    I am so kidding.

    I never though how romatic you are !
    that's all...

    Ps. please don't kick me when you see me tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tum, I disagree with you on "time always change everything but true love". ^_^

    Haven't you seen movie kwamjumsan (Best of time)? At the end of movie, the old man said people always forget things, but different speed. Some are quick, but some are slow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If true love does not change as Tum's mention, why we are still alone to day? Why we are dumped?

    Tum, romantic guy, If I were a girl, I might make a slip in your enticing words.
    Luckily, I am not.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Damn it! Don't all of you believe in true love? Yes, "people always forget things, but different speed. Some are quick, but some are slow." But that's the thing we use our brain to remember. Not the same with love that we recognize by our heart and feeling.

    Petch, see you tmr. -*-

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.