Sunday 11 July 2010

In your childhood, how many times a week did you exercise?

__________

Did you exercise regularly when you were young (about 11-15)? Some people did not do any exercise at all, so they have a problem with increasing of their obesity levels, which could cause them to perceive their body in negative way and choose to do not exercise. However, does the obesity levels are really related to the amount we exercise each week?

According to the article “Link between inactivity and obesity queried” in BBC News’s website, researcher was trying to answer that whether a lack of exercise really affect on children’s weight. The result shows that it is other way around because getting fatter will negatively affect on children’s active and exercise. In addition, the experiment at the EarlyBird Diabetes Study, based at the Peninsula Medical School in Plymouth also indicated that there is no indication that more exercise will affect on the children’s weight, nevertheless overweighed children did less exercise than that of other children. Professor Terry Wilkin said that an hour of children’s daily exercise is not enough to reducing their weight. As a result, focusing on food seems to be more important than concentrating on exercise. However, physical activity is still important to help the children to lose the weight. Dr David Haslam from the National Obesity Forum said that it is better for children to focus on both exercise and nutrition.

I agree with this article that exercise is not really the way to help children to reduce their weight because you might need to exercise like professionals to receive an effective result. To illustrate, when I was about 14 years old, my weight is approximately 80 kilograms. Even if I often played soccer with my friend after school, it did not really help me to reduce my weight. However, my weight dropped rapidly after I join badminton team at RBSC sport club and practice five day a week for at three hour a day. Therefore, the amount that people normally exercise in fitness could only make you fit and firm. If you want to decrease your weight and you do not exercise a lot, it is better to focus on the food you eat.

References

Adam Brimelow, (July, 08 2010). Link between inactivity and obesity queried. BBC News. Retrieved from July, 10 2010 from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/10545542.stm

4 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with Pat. When I was young, I also played football, but it seems like does not effect to my weight now. I also confirm that you must also focus on food as well because my weight is not decrease much as I expect even if i do exercise 2 or 3 times a week. Anyway, I could not imagine how you look like when you were 14.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it will be too funny for you to see how I look like in the past. :P 555

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that my waist line and my weight are determined by my diet, and no amount of exercise makes a big difference. Perhaps if I worked out heavily for hours every day, that would make difference, like Pat's three hours of badminton practice five days a week.
    I enjoy my walk to and from class, and I work out occasionally, but I don't think I want to spend hours everyday doing heavy exercise, which leaves the awful alternative of controlling my diet!

    I blame French food and the Top's cheese section at Silom Complex for my ever increasing size. (I'm not seriously overweight, but I do wish my waist would stop growing. For many years it was 30", then slowly increased to 31", and a bit more quickly to 32", then it was 33" and even more quickly jumped to 34". Where will it all end if this acceleration continues?)

    As well as being gentle and relaxing exercise, my daily walk home conveniently passes Silom Complex, where the Tops bakery also has very nice buttery croissants and some tasty breads that go well with butter and cheese, especially those creamy rich blue cheeses from Italy and France. And now it's time for a snack of bread and a ripe blue Brie with a bit of silly movie before I go so sleep.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.