Tuesday 6 July 2010

Do you arrange your bed every morning?

__________

Most of the people, including myself, have to arrange their beds to look neat after they wake up every morning. On the other hand, some people might feel lazy in the morning and do not tidy their beds. When I saw the title “Untidy beds may keep us healthy” in BBC news’ website, I was completely surprise, so I immediately picked this topic.

According to this article, scientists found from the research that unmade beds do not attract house dust miles which could cause asthma and other allergies. Using a computer model and testing how daily routine could affect mite populations in the beds, they discovered that the house dust miles will not be able to survive in the warm and dry condition, which normally found in untidy beds. In addition, Dr. Pretlove stated that this finding would help building designers to create environment for people’s home to avoid the mites and help people to have healthy lives.

After I read the article, I think it is very interesting because the research result is completely opposite from other people’s belief that untidy bed would appeal to the mites. For instance, my mother believe that failing to make her bed could create dirty environment in her bed room, so keeping the bed tidy would help her to have health life. However, I do not sure whether this result is useful for Thai people because the experiment in the article took place at the United Kingdom. Therefore, difference in temperature between Thailand and United Kingdom might change the result to be opposite around.

References

Untidy beds may keep us healthy, (2010, July 5). BBC NEWS. Retrieved July 6, 2010 from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4181629.stm

10 comments:

  1. Your title has startled me because I have been asked this kind of question many times.

    My mom always complains me that how I can sleep on the unmade but not dirty bed. My lame excuse is that why I have to tidy it every day because it will be messy the minute that I lay down myself.


    Thanks to your article, now I realise that the cause of my perennial alergy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm safe.

    Pat,
    When you read the details, what do you think is more likely to be the case for Thailand? Why?

    I love having reasons not to do what I don't do anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fortunately, I'm the person that don't arrange my bad sheet at all. I feel very sleepy at the early morning and don't want to do anything until take a shower; however, after I finish shower, I don't mind about my bed's looking anymore.

    According to your writing, if "the house dust miles will not be able to survive in the warm and dry condition" (¶2), I think duct miles can live anywhere in Thailand eventhough you don't arrange your bed because Thailand has wet and warm whether. Do you agree with me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fortunately, i'm the one who don't mind to arrange my bed in the morning at all. ^^

    According to your writing, I agree with you that in Thailand it may have a different finding because if the house dust miles cannot live in the warm and dry environment, Thailand has wet and warm whether which is the best condition for dust growing. So, I think whether we arrange our bed or not, our bed still have much dust underneath our bed sheet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm safe.

    Pat,
    When you read the details, what do you think is more likely to be the case for Thailand? Why?

    I love having reasons not to do what I don't do anyway.
    _______________

    My comment seems to have disappeared!

    Not to worry - I subscribe, so had an emailed back up copy, which I've just reposted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And now commments are back. I think.

    I just checked, and Google is apparently having an issue with comments at the moment, so if you've posted one and it appears to have disappeared, don't panic. It might show up.

    If it doesn't I have a copy.
    And you have a copy if you clicked "Subscribe by email"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m confused about what tidy and clean a bedroom are the same action or not, but I’m pretty sure that no one cleans the bedroom every morning, so how tidy action get rid of mite. Of course, it may help reduce, but not killing the mite. Anyway, it is not directly relevant to the article, so I do not want to bother you. Last, at least, tiny the bedroom may be good in feng shoi.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I don't have mites in my rarely made bed, but my feng shui's bad!

    I blame my mother - she was more into farming, golf and dining out than house keeping. And she's now 79 years old and going strong, although she has replaced the golf with lawn bowls.

    Book,
    I think it's fine if our response is not obviously or directly relevant to a post. I liked your feng shui comment, which gave another perspective on the topic, as well as relating it back to our first reading in Quest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please look at the opposite way. I am one of the people who rarely does not make my bed tidy. I may be confronted with dust or something else so long that all these things may stimulate and create my auto-immune system that makes me healthy and hard to get ill like.
    Thanks for dust and my lazy behavior. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. P' Taey

    you are very optimistic !

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.