Tuesday 6 July 2010

Sleep Learning


We dream almost every night in our sleep. I dream every night. I often remember what I dreamed about, but sometimes I don't. I'm sure one thing that I always dream about the things what I was thinking before I go to bed. This article is very interesting for me because if I can study English in my sleep, my English skills are going to improve a lot.


According to this article, "Scientists found people who dream about a new task perform it better on waking than those who do not sleep or do not dream"(2010, ¶1). They asked volunteers to learn the layout of a 3D computer maze. The volunteers allowed to take a nap. The volunteers who took a nap and dreamed about the task finished it faster than others. When they dream about the task, they are working hard to process information about it. This can be more useful in the future.

I understand the power of dreams and agree with it. I have some experiences about dreams. I believe that the day before the exam, I should go to sleep straight after studying. I shouldn't do any other things before going to sleep. I do this every time and I can often dream about studying. When I was on the fence, I could get the answer in my dream, and it was right answer. It could be good idea to study hard before sleep for us.
__________
References
Robert, S. , Erin, W. (2010, April 23). Dreams "can help with learning". BBC news. Retrieved July 6, 2010 from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8638551.stm

3 comments:

  1. I was writing some notes to go with my essay on Sam and Eric earlier, before I'd read Akira's post.

    One of those notes is about writing my introductory paragraph. I'll quote the two most relevant sentences:
    "I’m glad I slept on it. I don’t think I could have thought of anything so neat as Milgram’s psychology experiments when I was tired. Maybe my brain kept working on it as I slept."

    I almost never remember my dreams, but I am sure that my brain keeps working on things, even if I'm not dreaming.

    (Even if I don't always show them to you, I do normally write my own answers to all the writing assignments I set you to get a more accurate idea of how difficult they are. For exam questions, it helps me judge how much time you should reasonably need to write a decent answer.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will be a great news for sleep addicts like me. Except spending time in a class, now I can learn by myself in my dream. Actually, I've heard an experiment quite similar to this one. It is about the support of sleep on memory. In that experiment the researcher divided subjects into two groups; the first group read a book and went to sleep right away and the other group exercised after reading and then went to bed. The result showed that subjects in the second group had less memory about the book than the first one. I think there must be a significant link between sleep and neural process in our brain that make us well review what we've just perceived. That's why many people think sleep is another form of meditation. Same as Akira's experience, I always go to bed after reading for a test and avoid from any kind of exercises or hard physical activities. I feel that this way knowledge will be completely kept in my memory and never spill out of my head(stupid idea, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Akira, are you sure that the better work they had done relate to their dream? Because base on your article, they didn't test about their first sample group, who took a nap, so I mean the researcher cannot know that such volunteer could finished their task faster because of their dream or because they had enough rest and relax.

    For me, I also agree to take a nap before work because I believe that it'll help to reboost my brain energy, but I disagree with the idea that dream can improve our skill unless they have more reliable evidence because our brain have to work during we dream, instead of relax during we sleep.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.