Monday 19 July 2010

The real secret of Mona Lisa


This time, absolutely, is not about her famous enigmatic smile. Beyond art historians' expectation, there is a finding that everyone has never expected. Something surprising that we should be worried about her, instead. As I skimmed through the introductory part of the article, a pair of word caught my attention with much of curiosity. The word "Mona Lisa" and "choresterol" are obviously in the same article. How possible it could happen? I was unsure then which category of the information I was facing with: artistic or medical journal. After I had finished reading the article "The medical secret behind Mona Lisa's smile?" , I found the link between the two word and resolve the puzzle.
According to the recent medical examinations, Dr Vito Franco presented that Mona Lisa risks to have the problem of high choresterol level in her body. From the painting, he told that "there seems to be a lipoma, or benign fatty-tissue tumour, in her right eye"(2010, ¶3). This is the evidence why he thinks she has excessive fatty acids that is caused by the fondness of eating greasy food. From his point of view, apart from the purpose of entertaining, he believes that the people in artistic work also demonstrate physical conditions. He also diagnosed the painting of the artist Michelangelo and found that his swollen knees shows the sign of having too much uric acid and his possible suffering from renal calculosis.
Some thoughts are raised in my mind according to the matter of the news:
- First, it is an excellent verification that there is no perfection existing in the world. Despite being accepted as a masterpiece of the art work, she still has a significant blemish hiding under her skin. What is left for normal human beings, like us? How could we plausibly overcome the production of imagination?

- Secondly, I am pleased to know that people from different fields of study pay much attention to the realm of art. Whereas she is a model for artists, she can become a patient in the view of the doctor. Perhaps, this is an interesting charm of modern era at which perceptions continue expanding, the explanation of things is endless and the aspect of notion is multiplied. In other words, the word impossible is going to be impossible from now on.

- Finally, in my point of view, the finding is considered as another kind of integration. It attempted to combine two completely different areas of knowledge and puts them in the same equation. It is brand new but, nonetheless, worth knowing. Hope one day these sorts of integrations will become sophisticated network that provide us answers for everything.
_____________
References

The medical secret behind Mona Lisa's smile?. (2010, January 06). BBC News. Retreived July 19,2010 from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8444202.stm

10 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting article. I was impressed by the fact that people can look at the same thing with totally different perspectives mostly based on their expertise. It is fascinating that all knowledge can be tightly intertwined and if one grasps the root of knowledge, everyone, I think, can apply it to their lives. This will be beneficial to realise that everything is related to one other.

    Also, I do like your idea about perfection. It is true that “there is nothing perfect” and that excites me to step closer to that idea. It keeps me from being too complacent which no one should be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "[Mona lisa's] cholesterol levels were more worrying." (the source, ¶1) worried by Franco. When I read this article, I was very surprising that Dr.Franco have a lot of free time to diagnose the picture. Why don't he used his time more useful? Then, I was curious about his knowledge about western history because I always think europeans will desire to study their history, or at least, Franco should know because he's interested in Mona Lisa and other of art works (if not, why must he diagnosed such pictures)

    First of all, I'd like to suggest Dr.Franco to use his time more useful by helping other. Meybe, he can diagnose people who cann't go to see doctor ,or in other words, people who lack of oportunity to get a good advice from doctor. For me, giving a good suggestion to Mona Lisa is very silly.

    Secondly, it's a simple knowledge for educated people in europe to know that ancient people who lived in such century were prefer fat woman than slim woman. I was told this knowledge many many times by many of tour leaders and information guides of the museums I've been. So, I don't think this news is surprised for western people.

    Anyway, Franco shouldn't have diagnosed the pictures anymore. What is the benefir for people who read the article?

    *grammartically error*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for reading and agreeing with my points, Petch. I have been thinking about how to define the word "being perfect", also.
    It is unquestionable that most people pursue and desire to posess the quality of perfection.Some people practise deadly hard to get the highest score. Some work over day and night in order to earn more money and complete their ideal dream.
    These raise me some questions. Why people want it so badly? Everyday they spend their time think and plan for it. What is the exact meaning of the word and why it is so precious to be attained? And the real significant question is: To what extent or measurement, you can describe someone as already achieving perfection?
    I am looking forward to see your response and other people's idea towards the word, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tum,the first time I read it, I have the same response with you. Like you said, I'm not sure what benefit the finding can contribute to other people. I think it will be more helpful to diagnose living human beings, not painted human being. However, I believe everyone has their own reason so we should not judge him at the first place. Perhaps he did it on purpose. We should give him a chance to explain his intention (which I think it will be a doubt forever because we will never meet him, at least in this lifetime for sure).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ple, first of all I would like to clarify that the reason that we agree reminds me of a saying that “GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE”

    However, my definition of the word perfection would be the ideal thoughts that people can never actualise or at least they do temporarily and then they put a higher standard, but that, I think, has a positive effect on me to practice hard in order to reach closer to perfection. Life is long journey that people can discover many things, especially themselves and the great discoveries in each day make them enjoy their lives and realise that they are capable more than they had expected. in fact the underlining motive that makes me thrive for being a perfectionist is because I would like to improve, learn and most importantly to share my both intellectual and spiritual improvement with others and I believe that is how humans evolves continuously. Therefore, I am convinced that a worthwhile life should make an altruistic contribution to the intellectual and ethical improvement of society.

    Ps. I hope that I answer your question.

    ReplyDelete
  7. all of you wrote very long comments again na. 555+

    ReplyDelete
  8. And we like long comments. Don't we!

    ReplyDelete
  9. krabbbbbbbbb teacher. I also love long comment krab. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely agree with you, Peter. The more you write, the more you can clarify yourself and "deliberately practise" your thinking.(Tum, not only is the lenght of comment essential, the frequency of the response also counts. I always enjoy reading your resposes no matter how long they are)
    Petch, your idea is exactly the same concept that I value the word "perfection". But when I deeply considered it, some ideas popped up in my mind. Perhaps, there is no real existence of the word "perfect". The truth is humans never feel enough for what they have already possessed. Therefore, perfection is an endless desire that will never can complete unless a person have attained the state of self-contentment. Moreover, I think, if perfection is real and we can achieve it, it is merely a by-product. Instead, what many people are truly fighting for is to escape from the cage of daily boredom. Everyday they want to overcome challenges in order to push themselves to higher levels. They want to be better than yesterday and the days before that. They try to defy things and prove that they are eligible for their dreamed goal. And that is what's life for. Beating challenges is the taste of life. So, maybe being perfect or not is not the point we should concern anymore. Just do best in everyday of your life like it is your last day. Lastly, for me, I start to realize that the word "challenge" is much more meaningful than "perfection". The reason is because it much more touchable, perceivable and absolutely reachable. What do you think?
    p.s. I'm sorry that I wrote the comment too long and probably nonsense. I've just wanted to share and listen to others' opinion. I believe, through the response writings that bloggers really occupy their personal space, everyone will have opportunities to fully show their identity and understand themselves more thoroughly. In other words, blog is a place that many people practise the lesson of self-analysis together: so we can encourage and support each other. At the very last, truly thank Peter for giving me and our classmates this precious chance.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.