Sunday 11 July 2010

The science of Luck

Having read an article that my classmate posted, mentioning about inattentional blindness, I have been intrigued by that idea so that I have further conducted research. On the first article that I read is scoping on the accident caused by this behaviour. My story, however, focuses on luck in which Richard Wiseman is interested and I have found a very interesting research in which everyone can participate.

Please follow this link: http://viscog.beckman.illinois.edu/flashmovie/15.php


PLEASE WATCH THE VIDEO BEFORE READING BELLOW:


According to the research conducted by Deniel Simons and Christopher Chabris, appromcimately 50 percent of respondent did not give any notice of the gorilla stopping in the middle of the action. The reason that many of them miss it is because “[their] eyes only see in high resolution within two degrees of the focal point”. Therefore, “Distinctive and unusual objects do not automatically capture our attention”, Simons says. Wiseman is of the opinion that in regard of noticing hairy apes, neuroticism, which is an anxious, tense and stressed personality trait, is an important factor. Wiseman concludes that high levels of neuroticism causes people to be serious about their task at counting the number of basketball passes whereas people with low degree of neuroticism are more relaxed and emotionally stable. Therefore, “lucky people, Wiseman says, usually have lower levels of neuroticism” because “they are more laid-back and open to life’s possibilities”.

Presumably, everyone who reads the summary above has done the counting and I would appreciate if you could share your result with me in this post. Also, I posted this research is because I wish everyone to have fun and gain knowledge at the same time, which I hope I have achieved my purpose.

Concerning the science of luck I, however, think that in order to point out who is luckier than others, we need more supports and many factors are involved. Moreover, luck is difficult to define; for example, if I am consciously aware of the surrounding and see a pickpocket stealing a lady’s hand back, I try to stop. Unfortunately I am stabbed. Would Wiseman call me a lucky person ?

References

Sherood, B. (2010). The survivor club. The science of luck. New York: Grand central.

Simon, D. The University of Illinois. Viscog Productions. Retrieved July 11, 2010 from http://viscog.beckman.illinois.edu/flashmovie/15.php

6 comments:

  1. Can I upload the VIDEO to show it on my post so that you guys don't have to go to anther webpage ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Petch,
    I've just inserted the video for you.

    It isn't difficult. I'll write up some notes on how to do it, or you can ask A, who has already done it on one of his posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter

    Thank you very much indeed.

    Hope you enjoy my article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your posts are always informative and very interesting. Your comments are also thought-provoking. You read many books and kindly share those interesting information with us.

    In your imaginary scenario, I don't think Wiseman would consider that person a lucky person as well as a person with lower levels of neuroticism. Once he tries to stop that pickpocketing on his own without looking for any assistance from other people or the authorities he might be too anxious and too tense to respond to the environment, thus, though at first he might hold low levels of stress, after he joined the event until he got stabbed, he should not be as "laid-back and open to life's possibilities" as he was.

    I think Wiseman might define lucky people as those who can grasp most opportunities whenever they appear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've already counted it but I still noticed the gorilla(maybe that is why I got the wrong answer). I agree with what Wiseman said about the relation between having lower level of neuroticism and luckiness. This clearly suggests that we should be optimistic.I think good luck always appear wherever positive thinkings exist. that is why the science of luck is reachable and has no need to look for it.
    p.s. it's an interesting video, petch

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.