Thursday 8 July 2010

What's in manga you've read?


First thing of this article that caught my eyes is the picture of japanese cartoon with japanese words on its top. I'm the person who is really love Japan. I mean everything such as culture, technology, design, manga, animation, and so on. That's why I want to read this article very much, and this article, Drucker in the dug-out, is not disappointed me. In additional, it's shine me the another way to get more information from what I've never thought before. Anyway, I'm pretty sure that all of you read my first article which is "Have you ever dreamt to play any music instrument in public?" already, so I want you to think while you read this article about my question because I think it might useful for you to get the idea before you read my conclusion in the last paragraph. My question is "What's the same between this article and street piano?"

This reading begins in the employee meeting room of The Zoff, one of the biggest glasses manufacturer firm in Japan. The boss advises his employee to read a manga in his hand with the title : “What if the Female Manager of a High-School Baseball Team read Drucker’s ‘Management’". After his employee's finished it, and they started treating colleagues and customers differently. At last, the profit of Zoff reised continuously. It's because the book that suggested by their boss is contained many of important points of the management strategies which create by Peter Drucker, one of the most famous management professor in Japan.

My purpose to pick this article and post it in Peter's blog is not because I want to suggest you to read this cartoon, advise you to find Drucker's writing, or talk about the succesful of Zoff, but I want to give you another case study of using creativity idea to create something new and usefull. According to the writer of this manga, he used cartoon for introduce Drucker's idea, but indifferent way. It's not the same with other who always used heavy text book for represent one's management strategy. How creativity he is! After this manga issued, sales for Drucker's original works is increased with extraordinary pace, and many corporations which read and adopt Drucker's theory can booste their benefit.

This one I've posted in the blog have the same main idea with the previous one I posted on last week which is "Have you ever dreamt to play any music instruments in public?". I just want you to know how's good if you can create something new, and how's it useful and being advantage for other, if you think out of the box. In my very last, may I remind you that please see the world in different way, and you will find a difference thing that you've never thought before. Moreover, don't hesitate to do it, if you have a great idea. Likes Nike's word "Just do it".

__________
References

Drucker in the dug-out. (2010, July 1). The Economist. Retrieved 2010, July 5 from http://www.economist.com/node/16481583?story_id=16481583

14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter,

    I'd like to ask you a question. Could you please enlighten me from my stupidity.

    My question is that if I put something that appears in other source, I have to cite such source, right? What if that source was wrote by myself. Should I still cite the source?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tum,
    1. You can only cite a source that you have looked at. If you have not looked at something, don't cite it.
    For example, in "The Anthropological View of Religion", which we have been looking at this week, the writer makes a comment about what Wallace did in 1966; however, the cited source for that fact is Kottak (Hartmann & Blass, 2007, p.23, lines 10 - 11). The writer has not actually looked at Wallace's work, so does not, and cannot, cite him as a source for the idea that there are four types of religion. Citing a source tells your reader that you have looked at that source and found whatever words or idea you have used there. It is very dangerous to cite a source that you have not looked at.

    If you refer to or use an idea or words from something that you have written, you should normally cite that as usual. It is very common for writers to cite their own work, and to therefore include their own earlier work in their list of references. For example, in my blog post "Peter on Lord of the Flies, and Wikipedia", I cite something wrote elsewhere, and so also added that source to my list of references (Peter, 2010).

    2. Saturday is fine for "at all". I realise you have a lot of work right now. And also tomorrow.

    3. I've had a nap since I got back home, so I'm feeling fine now.

    Peter

    References
    Hartmann, P. & Blass, L. (2007). Quest 3 Reading and Writing, (2nd. ed.). New York: McGrw-Hill.

    Peter. (2010, June 29). Peter on Lord of the Flies, and Wikipedia. Class Blog - AEP at AUA. Retrieved July 8, 201 from http://peteraep.blogspot.com/2010/06/peter-on-lord-of-flies-and-wikipedia.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tum's first comment changed a little as I was writing my reply. There were initially 3 separate questions or comments that I was replying to.

    But number 1 was the substantial one, and it has not changed. It was a good question.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I sometimes do exactly what Tum has done.
    I post something, and spot some awful error that don't want left on public display, so I quickly delete and repost a revised version of my comment.

    It's a bit annoying not to be able to edit comments, but probably for the best to have that enforced constancy.

    I don't normally worry about little tying errors - you may already have spotted that I often mistype the as teh/. It seems that my fingers got into that habit years ago, and are not about to change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very sure that you'll know what I've wrote eventhough I deleted such comment. Thanks for your reply.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited , while imagination embraces the world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.(Albert Einstein)
    Actually, Imagination and knowledge are both important. Without Imagination we couldn't have invented some thing extraordinary such as long span suspension bridge, but without knowledge we couldn't have created strong enough foundation to bear such enormous load.

    ReplyDelete
  8. คมมากครับคุณเอ

    nice words krab, A.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your article.

    It reminds me of my childhood. I became a cartoon addict which later inculcated in me a passion about reading. I bought at least one comic book per week and now imagine how many books I have. Sometimes, I thnk I will keep them for my children, but I decided to donate some of them in order to clear my shelf.

    Another surpriseing effect from reading commic books is that I have developed a reading skill.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also love how japanese simplify things. They usually use mangas or light novel to explain difficult concepts or tedious historical facts. Reading these kinds of books can kindle our interest to pursue more detail in original works. I also find the "introducing series" by icon books (www.iconbooks.co.uk) very interesting. They simplify philosophical works or complicated ideas in science, psychology or sociology, being readable and easy books full of illustrations. Although they are not as informative as the original ones, we can save a lot of time and effort to get some fundamental concepts of many complicated topics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For me,Creativity is the best way to improve things' condition and I cannot find any disadvantages of creation as well. If you don't mind, I will suggest one book named "What ever you think, think the opposite" by Paul Arden, one of my favorite writer. The book talked about how productive ways creativity can change.
    He shows the ideas by using very short texts and interesting pictures that make it very easy to read. Moreover, I do agree with your idea as Nike that Just do it.
    Let's get out of your comfort zone.

    Ps.I am a catoonholic too especially Shonen - Manga.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spot on Taey.
    I hope I've pushed you a little out of your comfort zone, in a useful direction.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to confess, I've never (ever) read a manga comic. My only cartoon intake these days is Dilbert, whose sound management advice is very heartening, and Pooch Cafe.
    Is Poncho Ralph or Jack in today's strip?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tum, I learnt something from comic too. For example, I read comic about teach to be a good Japanese chief. Before, I read I thought making a sushi would not be difficult, but after read, I learnt that It wasn't such as how to choose the material and the way you use knife, all, effect to the taste of food. There, reading comic may be wasn't bad if you consider the benefit.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.