Monday 30 September 2013

Attack on Giant Duck


Interestingly, the biggest news in Taiwan now is not economic problems, political issues and government announcements. However, it's about a "giant rubber duck" in the harbor in Kaohsiung city in southern Taiwan.

Last weekend, most of my friends took picture with a giant yellow duck and posted on Facebook and I was interested in it too. According to "Giant Duck conquers Taiwan", there was an 18 meter-tall duck created by Dutch artist Florentijn Hofman in Kaohsiung and 500,000 people showed up and saw the duck within five days; on the other hand, the local government in Kaohsiung estimated that the duck would draw 3,000,000 participants and generate business worth tens of millions of dollars in it.


Have you saw the Japanese comic, called Attack on Titan, and the Titan is giant humanoid creatures which are 5 to 60 meter-tall. The humanity builds three walls to protect themselves for one hundred years, but a sudden attack by a gigantic sixty-meter tall Titan, the wall is destroyed and the war is stared. I never image the thing that is attacked by giant creatures because humanity is always in the top of food chain, and try to hunt and kill all the other animals, sometimes, it's just for fun. However, what do you think about it if you were a prey, can you escape from the giant creatures whatever it's a Titan or "giant yellow duck".

Yesterday, my wife told me that she wanted to see the giant rubber duck. But it is in Taiwan now and I'm not interested in "seeing" it; however, I'm interested in why the duck draw so many people in the world. In my opinion it's only a "big yellow duck" and made of rubber.

Reference
Hiufu, W. (2013, September 25). 'Giant Duck conquers Taiwan'. CNN News Retrieved September 30, 2013 from http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/24/travel/rubber-duck-taiwan/index.html

Attack on Titan, (2013, September 30). Wikipedia. Retrieved September 30, 2013 from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Titan

7 comments:

  1. Even though I have never heard of Attack on Titan, I still agree with you that human is on the top of the food chain. In addition, I have never imagine of human attracted by a giant Titan or duck. But in my opinion, many people are attracted by a giant yellow duck because it is new, unique, and a bit cute. Another reason might be that this rubber duck looks nice in a photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humanity is hunted by virus and by human who differently see in the same thing that is what I think. And if talking about the doom, I often imagine about a meteorite which is falling to the earth, how humanity deal with it. for me I don't care because I have already been at Mar in Mar I project and fighting with aliens LOL, I imagine that NASA or some organisation destroy a meteorite with laser gun; however, some pieces of extra terrestrial rocks will hit some continents and that's the starting of a doom. bye bye earth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How depressing, or should I just have some tasty dark chocolate, curl up in bed and watch ... Armageddon again, starring the wonderfully unserious but fun Bruce Willis? That sounds like a nice reward after checking all those sentence you've sent so far this evening.

      Do you happen to know how often a massive meteorite hits our little planet? And when might the next one be due? How long do we have to move to Mars or beyond?

      This discussion has moved in interesting directions from Alston's original yellow duck.

      Delete
  3. This duck is the same as one in Singapore, isn't it? Personally, I think it is a kind of marketing strategy that intend to draw people, especially tourists, attentions to go visiting and sightseeing it. It can attract a number of tourists which lead to an increasing income of your country. And I think it seems to work because even your wife also wants to get back home to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I were in This comics, I would apply to military and try to join scout unit. I think I would be a prey who is difficult to hunt like African buffalo that is capable of defending itself from lion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My former bank launched the campaign for debit-card and Doraemon was used to be a presenter. They put the big rubber Doraemon in front of the main branch and it's good for the campaign because there were a lot of people came to take a photo and posted it in their social.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think the reason why this campaign is success is that modern people nowaday, particullary teenager, like to share their photos and thier story via social media. The similar cases occur to famous restuarant, popular travel place, and etc.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.