Saturday 28 September 2013

Working at home works if...


Telecommuting (working from home) sounds a good idea to balance between career and personal life since we can establish our own schedule that when we prefer to work and when we need to stop to spend time with our families. In contrast, there is a study finding that telework can worsen feeling of exhaustion among employees.

Regarding “Why working from home could be bad for you health”, teleworkers may struggle to separate workspaces and personal responsibilities because They have to get the jobs done on time while personal times are needed. Nevertheless, some companies choose trainings for both managers and employees in an attempt to help workers prepare for new independence and ensure employers good productivites. 




As my father runs his own company, he spends a lot of times at home to work and handle his employees. He seems happy and not exhausted at all. It is probably due to being a boss and scheduling work time by his demand. However, I believe that there must be some other factors which help him equalize between work time and family time. He doesn’t set up his formal workspace in home because everyone knows what to do while he is working. For that example, self-discipline seems to be the first thing that a person who work at home must have, whereas giving space is a thing in which other family members are supposed to do. Besides, for someone who is employee, making agreements must be done before start working independently. Companies should provide you enough flexible work time but still frame your work appropriately. Meanwhile, you should manage your time and keep being productive. However, there is no a definite answer for everyone that which one is good. It depends on what type you are, what kind of work you do and how company treats you. Sometimes we should try both of them in order to realize by ourselves.


__________


Reference
Ronald Alsop, "Why working from home could be bad for your health", (2013, September 26). BBC News Capital, Retrieve September 27, 2013 from http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20130925-the-stress-of-working-from-home

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite like idea about working from home because i have spend much of time on transportation. it's better to spend time on doing other things than staying on the cars. Technology nowadays like high-speed internet make this work style possible. I hope this approach of working will be more popular in Thailand. Anyway, many company trend to outsource their work. So, i think the number of people working from home will increse continually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like working at home. It's more comfortable than at AUA, and my work tools are also better. Of course, I can't actually teach a class from home, at least not yet, but preparing material, checking your work and so on are things I much prefer doing at home.
    And I prefer my own coffee to Starbucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the working at home idea, but I prefer to work at office place because if i did my work at home I pretty sure that my work won't finish at all. I think if people work at home, it's suitable for people who do that work alone and have enough responsibility to submit each work on time. I always lazy when I'm working, but everyone working, so I have to do my job also. Moreover, maybe it's more convenience to consult each other at workplace more than video conference or teleconference except you're 1,000 miles far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think working at home is the desire of many people because it seems flexible for our life. You don't get up early and waste time with terrible traffic jam. I think it's good for both our health and mind, and it will cause us do better job but you should have very high responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that working at home is more flexible; people can wake up and start working whenever they want, so it is good for their health; moreover, the quality of their work might be increase due to a good emotion. However, I think it is necessary for them to have responsibility because no one can force them to finish their work and if they do not have it, they will not be able to finish their work on time and they will get fired.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.