Wednesday 25 September 2013

Why do people buy diamonds?

Diamond is one thing people wear to show how wealthy they are because it is the most expensive gem on earth. But can you imagine how much dose  it cost for the most valuable diamond?

According to "Diamond to be sold by Sotheby's at record price of $60m", the "Pink Star", which is a flawless 59.6-carat oval-cut pink diamond and is one of the earth's greatest natural treasures, is going to be auction in Geneva at a record of asking price of $60.

When I read this article, I think of the movie "Titanic" which the main actress wear a beautiful blue diamond (I think it's name is heart of the ocean). This diamond is very expensive because it is very rare. However, it make me afraid of crime. If someone keep this kind of thing in their house, the thieves will try to come into the house and steal it. Or if someone wears it in public and thieves see her, I think they might kill her in order to take her diamond. Why do people want to take that risk? Being rich is not that easy because many people when the get rich they try to show how wealthy they are and this will make many poorer people to be thieves because they just want to be as rich as other. This might be one reason why poor people commit the crime.

I think rich people might want to buy the "Pink Star" but why don't they spend their money to help others who really want their helps instead of buying a stone which they can use only to hang around their neck.

__________
Reference

Diamond to be sold by Sotheby's at record price of $60m.(2013, September 25). BBC News Europe.
Retrieved September 25, 2013 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24239268

10 comments:

  1. According to your writing, I got an idea that sometimes billionaires just want to show their buying power to others people, so they buy something that they like without thinking about real value of it. However, I think they have right to spend their money if they want to do whatever they want, but for charity is the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that they can use their money to buy what they want but I just think that if every millionaire spends just a little of their money for charity, this world might be much better.

      Delete
  2. Someone tell me that we buy luxury product to use it define who they are. For example, if the women hand Hermes Birkin bag, we can assume that this lady is very rich and have a good taste.
    Someone criticism that this is why the brandname product is very popular because we not only buy material but also their image. We can notice this point by looking at their advertising, the expensive product such as louis vuitton, chanel, dior and so on. Their advertising usually show that how good of your personality with their product, not how good of thier material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that we buy luxury products because of their images not their materials.

      Delete
    2. I'm one of people who is easily influenced by an advertisement. When I was a student I used to think if I got a job I'll spend my salary in each month for brand-name products like LV, GUCCI or GOYARD. Differently, In the first month's salary,I think why I have to spend a lot of moneys just for get attraction from someone I don't even know and these amount of money can do something valuer. In fact, I heard many people say that If you hand a high-end product but your appearance look not glamorous enough or you transport by free bus, people might think you're handing Shenzhen products which is look more ridiculous

      Delete
    3. I agree that if people with bad appearance or personality use brand-name product, others might think that they use the fake one, even though it is real and very expensive.

      Delete
  3. "TITANIC" is one of my favorite movies. The scene that simulated ship is sinking make me laugh.

    I agree with you that it is better to spend such a lot of money to help other people or make the world improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love "Titanic", even though it is a very sad movie.

      Delete
  4. I agree with Wan's critical thinking and the last paragraph attracts my attention to consider why wealthy people don't help donating main factors -- clothes, shelters, medicine, money, food, and so forth -- to impoverish people. Personally, rich people may be selfish of donating some factors to poor people and they may absorb valuable things, diamonds and gold, more than others including their life. For example, you can see African and Nigerian kids are uneducated and bony, and they are waiting for donators to help them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the rich should help the poor but not in every situation. Sometimes I think it is not their duties to help that people because some of them do not even try to help themselves and just begging and spending the money that the get from other's donating on drugs and silly things.

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.