Wednesday 20 June 2018

Community: reading 1 "Living by the Rules" (R&W2, p19, Developing critical thinking)

What I read

We have just read and checked our understanding of "Living by the Rules," the first reading in Unit 2 of Skillful RW2.

___________________________________ 

Our response 

Having read the text a couple of times, Rogers and Wilkin now invite us to respond to the ideas in a critical thinking exercise.
___________________________________ 

Rogers and Wilkin's questions

Comment on the following questions, which are the critical thinking questions on page 9 (Rogers & Wilkin, 2013), and then reply to at least two of your classmates' comments. 

questions

  • If you could change the rules at your school or place of study, which rules would you change? Why?
    If I could change the rules, I'd allow people to ...
    I'd change the rule that says ... / that requires ... 
    As usual, it's up to you whether you use the language that Rogers and Wilkin suggest to help you start responding. 
     
  • Would you like to live in a community with no rules? Why or why not?
    I'd like to live in a community with no rules. I think it would be ...
    I wouldn't like to live in a community that had no rules because ...
___________________________________ 

Reference

  • Rogers, L. & Wilkin, J. (2013). Skillful Reading & Writing, Student's Book 2. London: Macmillan Education

11 comments:

  1. If I could change the rules at my old school. I'd allow student to use phone in class for education such as find the information for study or works on their phone or tablet to send to the teacher. If we do this we will save the world by save a paper for sheet that sometime is useless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to live in a community with rules. I think you have to deal with many people in a community you don't actually know, and if there are no rules at all I will have no idea what would their behaviors might be. So, I would feel very uncomfortable living in that community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't agree with some thoughts in school, I don't know this kind of thoughts is a rule or not, usually school tells students exam is important, if you don't pass the exam, you're a bad student, I'd change the mind, because I don't think is correct.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I could change the rules, I'd allow the students in high school to carry their phone during the day because I think high school students have responsibility enough to organize time in using their phone.

    However, I don't want to live in the community with no rules because rule is a line that control people behavior in the society.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I could change the rules at my high school, I'd allow people to dress whatever you want, for I think our grade and concentration are not depend on our clothes.
    I wouldn't like to live in a community that had no rules because I think rules is the thing that make people live in the community without taking their own advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I could change the rules in my university, I'd allow freshman to wear any shoes not only Pepermints shoes Because I think that shoes is not effect to study.It should a freedom to choose what you want to wear.
    I wouldn't like to live in a community that had no rules because I think that It might cause a disoder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I could change the rules at the school, I'd allowed girl students have a long hair. At the previous rule, the girl students controlled by government must have their hair cut in the low level of their ears, so I think it is so old and does not encourage them in pushing their courage.

    I would not like to live in this kind of community because I'd afraid some people would break a rules and take risks to other people. Moreover, this community does not have any core of justice, and why we know anything is correct.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I could change the rules when I was in high school, I would allowed the students not to wear a school uniform for study. You can wear everything you like because I don't like school uniform.

    I wouldn't like to live in a community with no rules because it maybe too freedom for people to do something and we can't control them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I could change the rules,I would allow people to study in their house.Because this way let us to save much time and may save traffic costs,people also need take that traffic tools under the congestion situation.

    I wouldn't like to live in a community that had no rules because it let a community lost its function and
    We can not enjoy the normal life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I could change the rules, I would allow people around the world to travel or to live in any countries they want to. This would make our world more united. And I belive it would help decreasing conflict between countries.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.