Thursday 14 June 2018

Reflective learning journals (R&W2, p16, Study skills)

What we read

After each unit in Skillful, there is a study skills page. The one on page 16 is by Stella Cottrell. In it, the author discusses why and how to keep a reflective learning journal (2013). 

___________________________________ 

My response 

At various periods in my life I've kept journals for various reasons, and I like Cottrell's suggestions. I used to keep mine in the "strong notebook" that Cottrell recommends in her first sentence, but that was many years ago, last century. These days, I use Microsoft's OneNote, which is a great tool for this sort of thing. 

Most of my entries are very short. For me, it is more useful to write a little bit regularly, preferably every day. That acts like a reminder to focus on whatever goals or other things I'm using the journal to reflect on. Some days I write only one short sentence, and other days I might write half a page: both are fine. As with so many things we do, the important thing, I think, is to get into a regular habit of doing it, and a little bit is easier than a lot. I think the same about reading and writing, which is one reason for this blog, which creates a place for you to do regular writing, and starting next week, it also encourages you to read whatever interests you. 


Cottrell's concluding suggestion
Start now!
I especially like Cottrell's concluding suggestion in the yellow highlighted box: "Start now". It isn't a statement-type sentence using a modal verb; it is an imperative sentence. How about you? Do you like her suggestion? 
___________________________________ 

My question

Have you ever kept a journal? 
As usual, in your comment responding to this one sentence question, you are welcome to write a short paragraph of several sentences, or to write two paragraphs if you like. In fact, it won't worry me if you write three paragraphs sharing your responses to the question. 
___________________________________ 

Reference

  • Cottrell, S. (2013). Reflective learning journals. In L. Rogers & J. Wilkin, Skillful Reading & Writing, Student's Book 2, (p. 16). London: Macmillan Education 

6 comments:

  1. I didn't keep a journal for a long time. because I think I am not good at writing in English and Chinese. I tried to write a blog to record my travelling, but it's very hard. Usually I wanted to write a lot of details to describe things, but the story was too long to write. I can't insist on writing.

    When I was young, I liked to write a blog in QQ-ZONE. I wanted to tell my friends a lot of things. If I felt happy or sad, I wrote my emotional sentence in my blog. Now I don't write anymore in Chinese. I decided to learn English an half year ago. I forgot lots of English skills and couldn't write a sentence in English. But now, I can comment a blog. Writing in everyday is useful for improve my English skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that keeping to write a journal is good idea to improve my English level.In fact,I don't like writing a journal matter in English or in Chinese,so I have never kept a journal a long time.During my primary school,my Chinese teacher asked us to write a journal everyday to practise Chinese writing skill.Today,maybe for improving my English skills, I will try to write a journal everyday and I hope I can keep writing it for long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never kept any journals. But when I see how people use smartphones these days, there are many mobile applications that you can use as a journal depends on what your purpose is. For example, if you want to lose weights by jogging. Now your goal might be something like ‘to decrease your weight xxx kg within xxx month’ and your plan might be ‘I will go jogging xxx km/day xxx days per week’. That sounds great. Most people would do it right away without keeping any journal. And they might keep doing it for a while, then they quit and fail to achieve their goals. But if you have a running app on your mobile phone in which you can bring it along while doing exercise, it would help you keep track of your progress whether fast or slow. By seeing your progression, it will keep you away from losing motivation and keep focusing on your goal. So, it will increase your success rate.

    I actually have an app called ‘Nike+ Run Club’ on my phone. I have been using it for a couple of months. It always notifies me when I have got a new achievement or a new badge. It makes my running more like a game. And now I can change my running goal to something more specific.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was in high school, my teacher always told me write a journal to practise my writting skills. I think it's too hard for me, so I rarely wrote it. But now I realized that writting a journal can improve my writting skills. So I'm going to write it everyday because it very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a little girl, I tried to write a journal but it didn't success as it could be. However, I think that keeping memories is amazing and important because people can't turn back in time but what you keep will always remind you to those memories.
    when I a little bit grow up, I choose to collect movies tickets and finally I can do it well because I like watching movies in the theater and those tickets can remind me about the good time I spend with my friends or my family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was in primary school, Teacher told me to write a diary book everyday and must sent it to her. Teacher will check my diary and give me a suggestion. After I finished primary school,I hardly write my diary anymore. Now, I come back to write a journal again but in English when I study this course. I keep a journal in my phone about everything I do ,or I found in the day instead using book like the past. I absolutely agree with Cottrell's suggestions. I believe that if you always write a journal, writing skill will better certainly. Thus, I hope I will continue write a journal everyday for long time.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.