Saturday 16 June 2018

Peter's academic interests

A couple of days ago I started reading the book How Democracies Die by two Harvard University academics, Steven Levitsky  and Daniel Ziblatt. This reflects my interest in politics and how it intersects with moral philosophy, sociology and other academic fields. I've never studied political science at university, but it's an important part of our lives, not only for the US now suffering under democratically elected Trump, who does not seem to respect democratic ideals, but also Thailand which is suffering under a dictatorship. Levitsky and Ziblatt present a very informative analysis of their topic in this book.

Apart from philosophy, which was my major at Sydney University, I'm also interested in science and history, and like to keep up with developments in these areas. My main historical interests are a bit ancient, Greece and Rome, but I also read a bit of more recent history.

Finally, I don't have time to write about my interest in behavioural economics. Actually, as academics like Steven Levitt, who shows how abortion is a very effective method for reducing crime in society, economists can apply their tools of analysis to a lot of non-traditional areas to help us better understand what is happening, such as why the mafia and corrupt officials love it when politicians make drugs, gambling and prostitution illegal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.