Monday 11 June 2018

Peter's academic interests

My major at university ended up being philosophy, and I'm still interested in this subject. I read philosophy book, I read essays in newspapers, magazines and journals, and I listen to philosophy talks. Of course, I also argue with friends and colleagues. My main areas of interest these days are moral philosophy, but I also read in other areas, even logic, which was my second main area of interest at university.

But I also have academic interests that I've never studied at university. At the moment, these include psychology and behavioural economics. I think it's fascinating how economists like Dan Ariely use the tools of economic analysis to explain not only buying behaviour, but human honesty, for example that we are all a bit dishonest, but that most of us are not very dishonest. That was a really interesting essay, backed up with experimental evidence and solid analysis. Similarly, Steven Levitt helped us to understand why allowing abortion is an effective solution to crime.

When I was in high school, my favourite subjects were mathematics and physics, and today I still like to read about these, but I don't really study them any more. I usually look at the science and technology pages in The New York Times, The Economist and the other magazines that I subscribe to. I also read a couple of science magazines, such as New Scientist.

Out of time!

3 comments:

  1. Hello Peter,I read all of your comments about our interests,so I know you have many interests,but I strongly want to know how you arrange time on so many interests.You said that you studied Chinese history, I also like to study history especial on Chinese history and I read some books about Chinese history,maybe,we can talk about it when both us are free time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your major is philosophy, I think it’s cool, I just read a story book at philosophy, when I wanted to talk this story with my friends or recommended it, their answers always say NO, they think it’s difficult to understand and seems grey. Unfortunately I can’t use English to talk about philosophy, It’s difficult, However, I want to read some easy reading for philosophy. Maybe you can recommend some good articles to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello T.Peter,your academic interest is very cool espectually behavioural economics. I interest it too.When I study in high school Economics is my favorite subject because this subject have reason that you can prove.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.