Monday 11 June 2018

Teng's Academic Interest

I am interested in machine learning. Machine learning is a kind of problem solving technique that
allows computers to learn from data. I came across this subject while I learnt coding couple years ago. I think the idea of machine learning is really cool and I would like to know how it works under the hood.  Machine learning is quite an advanced topic, it requires strong background in math, statistics and computer science in which I don't have any of these skills. Luckily, there are many online resources these days, so I can study these topics by myself without going to university. I treat my learning like a hobby just to keep my curiosity alive. I don't know how long will it take until I completely understand machine learning, but all I know is the more I learn the more I understand.

2 comments:

  1. I'm also interested in machine learning, which is coming along at an amazing rate these days. I enjoyed learning to code way back in the early 1970s, when computers filled whole rooms and buildings, but were less powerful than the smartphone that now sits in my pocket.

    I like that its called machine learning. That sounds right to me. I don't think that there is any essential difference between what computers do and what our brains do to make us intelligent, feeling persons. Yes, that means I think that the machines that beat us at chess, go, and ever more things will overtake us in general intelligence in the not to distant future.

    I noticed recently that Google has promised not to engage in AI research for defence (= war), but I'm sure that governments around the world are spending billions on exactly that. It would be crazy not to when others might be.

    Exciting as it is, I do sometimes wonder where the accelerating growth in computer abilities will lead even in the next ten years. It's less than ten years that I've had a smartphone, which is now an essential tool in my daily life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your point of view that you said "more you learn,more you understand". It is so true and cool quote that I never hear before. And about the machine I have no comment because I don't know about that. But I believe that you a genious mechanic cause you learn all the time.So I hope i will try to diligent person as you.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.