Monday 25 June 2018

Video games are good, you know

What I read

According to “WHO gaming disorder listing a ‘moral panic’, say experts” (2018) by Alex Therrien, WHO recently classified a new mental health disorder called ‘gaming disorder’. It causes many experts to question about its validity and benefits due to lack of supporting scientific evidence.
___________________________________ 

My response 

When I was a kid, most adults I knew they had bad impression on anyone playing video games. I don’t know why. Maybe, they think it is an unproductive activity, or kids should spend their free time reading or learning new things, instead of playing video games. I think their ideas were correct in a way, because most early video games were made for entertainment and had nothing much to learn from. But as our technologies keep getting better and better, modern video games are not quite the same. They are much more complex. Video games playing these days requires a lot of decision making skills, whether you play against computer or other human. In order to win a game, you will encounter sequences of many situations, in which you have to decide what the best choice you should take. And, if you don’t think carefully enough, you are going to lose for sure. So, I think playing games is more of doing brain exercise, and it is good for the brain.
Recently, I heard of something called E-sports which is a kind of professional game competitions. I don’t know much about E-sports. I also wonder why there are so many people enjoy watching other people playing video games. However, it is part of gaming business now. As far as I know, E-sports is very similar to other professional sports such as football, golf, motor racing, etc. The top professional gamers can make a lot of money from participating in competitions or having sponsors. Though, I wonder how likely it is for an amateur gamer to turn professional. Anyway, it is good to know that kids, who love playing video games, have a chance to become a professional players.
___________________________________ 

My question

If someone you care about spends too much time playing video game, would you advice that person to see a doctor? Why? 
___________________________________ 

Reference

Therrien, A. (2018, June 21). WHO gaming disorder listing a ‘moral panic’, say experts. Retrieved from https://www.bbc.com/news/health-44560338 

4 comments:

  1. Teng's chosen article had also caught my interest a couple of days ago. I'm glad now that I didn't decide to blog it. Teng's response is very different to mine, although we both agree that playing video games might not be so bad as some people think.

    I was also reminded of a case in the US a few years when a businesses selling violent video games took the government of the State of California to court to overturn a law that banned them selling or renting violent games to kids. In the end, the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS), ruled in favour of the gaming businesses: the evidence does not support the popular belief that violent video games cause violent behaviour.

    As I was reading the source article, I was strongly reminded of my own childhood when everyone thought that TV must have the worst effects on kids who watched it. It didn't. Nor to violent movies full of shooting, rape and so on make people violent or rapists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think play video game is a bad thing and I can't advice my close friend to see a doctor. But if a young child spend a long time to play games, it's a problem. Because young child don't have enough ability to choose right or wrong. We need lead them to know some thing. for example, If child play games in two hours per day, it's ok, why not? Games are interesting and increase reaction speed. but if they spent time more than 5 hours, do you think is a good things?

    For adults, I believe they can decide what they want to do. 99% of my friends are playing King Glory. Some people played this game until 3 AM, but they still get up early to work. So I don't think is a problem. By the way, when I was a high school student, I was crazy about playing games, but now, apart from escape the room games. I don't play other games any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me,I choose to remedy him with the first easy step and I am not still advice him to the doctor. So I trust that going to doctors looks like the big problem, I decide to help him to change his behavior. Playing in the yard is an example of my method. It is not only to adapt his habit but to create new interests.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I my opinion, playing game is not a big problem , if you can control yourself. I believe, most of people love to play games. For example, my mom always play candy crush game every night but It not effect to her work and I like to play Hay Day game. I think playing game has many benefits for instance, It help you relax and happy.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.