Wednesday 13 June 2018

Getting into Unit 1 = Nourishment (R&W2, p7, Discussion point)

What we read 

Click to see full image
Rogers and Wilkin, the authors, introduce each unit of Skillful 2 with a discussion activity, that is, an opportunity for us to share our ideas on the topic of the unit in a way that relates it to our own lives, ideas and experiences. Unit 1 of book 3 (Rogers & Wilken [=r&S2], 2013, p.7) does this. 

___________________________________ 

My response 

The research solidly shows that brainstorming or discussion activities for groups are more effective if participants start by working individually (O'Connell, 2010; Markman, 2017). In fact, experts at Harvard University's School of Management and elsewhere are sure that this can be very effectively done using online tools (Chamorro-Premuzic, 2015). Blogging is one effective way to do this, which is one reason I've turned Bixby and Scanlon's discussion exercise into a quick blogging discussion. 

___________________________________ 

Bixby and Scanlon's questions

We have already looked at the photograph on page 7 and discussed question 1. In a comment, or two if you prefer, share your ideas on the other two questions: 
  • What kinds of food do you enjoy eating? Are they local products or from other countries?
    I enjoy eating ... / It comes from ... 
      
  • What foods have special meaning in your culture? When do you eat them?
    Some of the foods that have a special meaning in my culture are ... / We eat ... to celebrate ...? 
Write full sentences. You will also need to write a few sentences for each of your ideas, giving explanation, examples and other details to clarify and develop your ideas. 

You can answer the questions in any order. You can write one comment, or if you prefer, two comments, but not three. So that you don't worry about Rogers and Wilkin's numbers too much, I replaced them with bullets. You can start with their suggested language or not. This is a fluency activity; that is, you want to quickly turn your ideas into sentences one after the other. 

Open a new comment box and start writing. You have five (5) minutes.   

___________________________________ 

References

9 comments:

  1. 1.I enjoy eating pizza ecpecially Hawaiian and Meat Deluxe because this menu don't have vegetable. I think pizza come from Italy.

    2.Some of the foods that have a special meaning in my culture are Kanom-Tuafu. It is a cup of flour. It means to flourishing.
    In Thai-Chinese family, We eat Kanom-Tuafu after paying respect to ancestors and to celebrate Chinese New year in the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can not get any pictures when I use the word "Kanom-Tuafu" to search on the internet.What is it?

      Delete
    2. I think In English call Steamed Cup Cake. But in Chinese I don't know what they call. Haha

      Delete
  2. I enjoy eating a Pizza it is from Italy,it make a piece of paste as its base and then topping some of vegetable,fruit or seafood and so on. I do not why I like to eat it,maybe just its taste.
    Some of the foods that have special meaning in our culture are the ZongZi and dumpling and so on, we use a lotus leaf to wrap some kinds of filling that main ingredient is sticky rice make a ZongZi. Eating a Zongzi started ancient China about two thousand years ago. Chinese eat a Zongzi on lunar calendar 5th of May for memory one of the great poets in China history,he was named QuYuan. When the day comes, Chinese not only eat a ZongZi but also hold dragon boat race,so this day is also named dragon boat festival.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy eating sushi. it comes from Japan. Actually, I love every dishes of Japanese food but sushi is my most favorite dish. I eat sushi at least once a week.
    In Thai culture, people eat Tong Yip and Tong Yord to represent wealthiness because " Tong " in Thai language meaning is " gold ". Tong Yip and Tong Yord are Thai dessert which we can eat every special day such as wedding ceremony or religious ceremony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy eating shrimp tempura, because it was the first japanese dish I ever had. Although the recipe is from Japan, I think most of ingredients are locally produced. Some premium restaurants might import the ingredients from Japan. While most japanese restaurant chains are likely to use local products due to cost.

    I can only think of alcoholic drinks as an alternative answer. It has a special meaning during Buddhist festivals such as Buddha day, Magha Puja or Dhama day. But we just don’t drink any alcohol instead. Because not drinking alcohol is one of five moral precepts that many Thai buddhists live by. In Thailand, we take this issue quite seriously. All beverage sellers are prohibited from selling alcohols during the festivals. There are also legal penalties for those who don’t comply with the law.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy eating a chocolate especially in Guylian; it is a brand of Belgian chocolate company. Due to the location of the company, manufacturing of the product is in Belgium and we have to import it if its demand matters.
    Lab is Esan food and its sound of the word means make ours think of luck. So when we, the Esan people, make merit or have a special day, we are used to give Lab as a wish also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy eating watermelon. I checked google,it said that watermelon comes from Africa, but now China is the largest producer of watermelon in the world. I ate it in Thailand, but I think Chinese watermelon taste better than there, For me, watermelon symbolizes summer time. Summer is my favorite season, when I was young, I ate it just in summer. It’s sweet, I like eat it with a spoon. Cut the watermelon in half. In summer, I usually turn on the air conditioning and TV, hold my a half of watermelon and sit in the sofa, I eat it and watch movies. I think it’s my best summer time in my life.

    Some of the foods have a special meaning in my culture are rice cakes. We eat this food in Chinese New Year. It’s name has two words, one word’s meaning is “year”, and other word is “high”. We eat it to have a good symbol, “Rising year after year”.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy eating a lot of foods but if I have to choose one it's going to be hamburger, I think hamburger is from USA. For me hamburger is a very creative food just like sandwich because we can add everything on it whatever you like also it's easy for you to take it somewhere. When I want to eat hamburger, Burger King is the first fast food restaurant name that came to my mind.
    Some of the foods that have a special meaning in my culture but I don't really know what Thai food that have a special meaning but what we eat for celebrate I think it's going to be "Cake" because nowadays we eating cake for our special day for example birthday cake or wedding cake. But this worldwide not a only on Thailand, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.