Tuesday 12 June 2018

Storied Stories

What I read

According to the BBC News article "First James Bond girl Eunice Gayson dies at 90" (2018), the woman to whom James Bond first introduced himself with his iconic phrase, "Bond, James Bond," in the first 007 film has died. Eunice Gayson, who later performed in a number of classic TV series, played opposite Sean Connery in the Dr. No in 1962, and according to the BBC News report, Gayson said that Connery had some trouble saying the three word line, but that he was OK after she took him out for a quick drink. 

___________________________________ 

My response 

That brings back memories. I don't know how old I was when I first saw Dr. No, but I loved it and most of the following Bond films, although I didn't like the ones where Roger Moore Played bond. Connery did a much better job, and the current Bond, Australian actor Daniel Craig also puts on a great show. Since my mother had it in her collection, I had probably read the novel before I saw the film. It was likely one of those books I was so thrilled by that I finished it in one day in between my school work. But the long bus trip and from school was a great opportunity to read. 

The BBC article also mentioned a couple the classic TV series that Eunice Gayson appeared in. I remember those as well. The Avengers was nothing like the current Avenger films. It was a stylish British drama series from the 1960s, which I must have watched in my early teens. I thought I was in love with the dashing Emma Peel. The other classic mentioned was The Saint, starring Roger Moore as a dashing thief who was really a good guy. Moore played this role much better than he did James Bond. 

When I watch these old classics these days, it can be disappointing, and a shocking reminder of how much the world has changed. Things that were presented back in the 1960s as being super hi-tech. are clumsy and simple compared to the powerful computer that I carry around in my pocket to keep my connected to the world. 

I don't think I can imagine what might be possible in another ten years, since the rate of progress is constantly getting faster. An implant that directly links my brain to the super Net? 
___________________________________ 

My question

What song, movie, or other piece of work brings back memories for you? 
___________________________________ 

Reference

And from YouTube - when smoking was as normal as sexism in public. 

10 comments:

  1. When I heard the familiar moledy and saw the fimaliar scence,it brings back my memories to my childhood.I think each of boys has must have a hero dream,this is the reason that a boy likes to watch the 007 series,I also like watching this series.I know that the 007 series have many episodes and many famous actors played the Jamms Bonnd, I am really kone on Perice Brusnan and Sean Connery, I think both of them are very handsome. Of course the Bonnd's girl plays very important role, they are so beautiful, but because differant girl play the role in turn,I can not remember those actresses'name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 2018 FIFA World Cup brings back memories. Football used to be my favourite sport, when I was at high school. I got to know most of my friends from playing football together. We played football after school practically everyday even on the exam days. Moreover we also played football video games after playing football. Needless to say, we were crazy about football during that time. One thing I like the most about playing football is that it shows me how to work as a team. All teammates share the same goal and automatically know how to play their roles in the game without any instructions. Being a part of team and working as a single entity make me feel amazed. I have never experienced anything like that again since high school, whether in university or in workplace. Maybe we should encourage our government to increase sports activities in schools. So more students get used to collaborative habit. And we will be happy to work together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read the question, A song appeared in my mind, It’s a Chinese song, name is “不爱我就拉倒”, English means that if you don’t love me, I don’t care. The singer is Jay Zhou, he is famous in China. While I was a young girl, I heard his songs everyday, my friends and I can sang his songs, bought CD and tapes, wrote lyrics. His lyrics is so great, seems like poems. But this was a long time ago.

    Now Jay didn’t have some good songs to sing, 2 weeks ago, I opened my music app and discovered his new song, the lyrics is different from his old’s. The song used some internet popular word, some sentences are funny. So a lot of people went to his earlier writer’s Weibo write comments, they hoped the writer to help Jay to write lyrics. This event is funny in my country, However, I think maybe teenagers like this kind of songs, I’m don’t know their hobby. Sometimes I heard Joy’s old songs, I remembered a lot of things when I was a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I think about my memories in the past. I thinking of one of my favorite movie. That is “The Sound of Music”. This movie makes me want to play a music. The movie is about a nun named “Maria” who loves music but her behavior is inappropriate to be a nun. So she had to leave from the church and go to be a nanny of seven kids of a single dad who always strictly with his kids. They never sing a song before. After Maria came in theirs life. She brought the music to the family. When I saw this movie first time when I was young. I told myself that I will play the music to make everyone enjoy and happy with my song. And nowadays when I hear the songs about this movie. It’s make me think back to why I need to play the music from then until now.
    https://youtu.be/5fH2FOn1V5g

    And this is the scene that well known about this movie. And it’s one of my favorite. That comes up with the lyrics that always sung in my head “The hills are alive with the sound of music”. That is very impressive to the audience. I hope everyone who never watched this movie let’s watching this because it was such a good movie that can touch your heart and fall in love with the music like me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I heard the James Bond theme song it's bring back memory when I was watching "Pink Panther" and "Johnny English" for first time. Because I think James Bond theme song is quite similar for Pink Panther and Johnny English. I like both of the movies but i have known Johnny English by watching "Mr.Bean" because they are using the same actor "Rowan Atkinson" play as Mr.Bean and Johnny English. Mr.Bean is the most comedy film that I like and never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When l listen " Price Tag" song by Jessie J. , this song brings back my memories a lot. When I study in hight school,Teacher in English class gave me a project of make a MV of English song. This situation make me try to listen English song that I never listen before. My friend suggest Price Tag song,after I listen I like it. This song is funny expectially part of rap,I and my friend take a long time to practice part of rap. I and my friend enjoy making MV, It so funny time. In the past,I don't like to listen English song but this song change my mind so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I listened to the Jingle bell rock song in every winter, it reminds me of my friends in grade 9. Because we used to sing together in the chorus song contest, this song bring me back memories while we rehearsaled it for a long time and we were lucky to have a new friend who can be a conductor and play a important role to make it perfect. Absolutely, due to our patient, we were proud to represent and nailed it finally. For me, that is still one of the golden time to be a youngster.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My school marching song always reminds me about my life in school. This song called "Serviam" . In that time, my school opens the song every morning before 8 a.m. to warns all student get ready for singing national anthem. I had been studying in my school for 13 years so I very bond to the school and this song. Even after I graduated,when I miss the school, I would open the song to remind myself about happiness life in school with friends. It's make me feel like being home.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.