Thursday 21 March 2019

Shopping Mall

I was drawn back to Siam Discovery, one of the grand shopping malls located at the very center of Bangkok. It is a place where I have had a memorable experience with my close friends during my high school year. Just a couple of months ago, I walked by this mall on the way back home. It has been renovated with many large LCD screens. Before catching a bus, I decided to wander inside the mall to reminisce my teenage life.

I walk up an escalator to reach the floor where I spent most of my time studying with my friends. A tutorial school which was once operating here has gone. It is now replaced by a shop for hi-end products. Almost none of the kids wearing school uniforms appear. Many foreign tourists occupy this floor. In fact, they take up all the spaces to purchase for their goods.

After having soft-serve ice cream, I reached the ground floor. I used to buy cheap, tasty street food there. However, right now this area is paved with granite stone and it is in fact very clean. Although this scenery makes this shopping mall an attractive destination for tourists worldwide, I think it lacks the authenticity of Thai traditional way of life with street merchants with which I have grown up.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't been to Siam Discovery for years. I used to meet a friend there for lunch at Oishi, but then we started going to Paragon. The last time I went to Siam Discovery, I got lost!

    I like your comments about traditional Thai street food. I love the market next to my condo, where the same stall holders have been selling food for the fifteen years I've lived here. I usually get kai yang, and sometimes somtam from one of my favourite stalls on the way home. The daughter of the woman who runs it is now a grown woman with her own child, and the food is a bit more than it used to be when I moved to the area, but still excellent value for a quick, delicious meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't visited Siam Discovery for a long time and last visit I remember that I got lost because everything is changed so I have to ask the staff to help me find out the direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though the new one looks really good and luxury, I missed the old Siam Discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to visit Siam Discovery too! It is very near to my school.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.