Saturday 30 March 2019

When do we become adults?

What I read

From “People don’t become ‘adults’ until their 30s, say scientists” (2019), Professor Peter Jones says that there is a path between childhood and adulthood. Many people think that they become an adult when they’re eighteen because they can vote, buy alcohol and are treated as an adult, which is wrong. Eighteen is the number that education, health and law systems use to make it easier by giving a definition, but it isn’t the exact age when people become adult. Brain scientists believe that people become adult at different ages; however, people become adult in their 30s when there is no change in their brain.

___________________________________ 

My response 

I interested in this article because of its title. I've never thought that eighteen which is widely taught as an age when we become adult is wrong because when we are eighteen, we can vote, buy alcohol, smoke, and we are treated as an adult in a court, so many people including me think that we become adult when we're eighteen, but now I believe that we don't become adult when we're eighteen. I agree that we become an adult at different age, the reason maybe personality, environment, parents, friends and so on.

I agree with most of things written in the article, which seem to be reliable because they are scientists' words, but I don't totally believe that we become adult in our 30s when there is no change in our brain, I think that our brain change a bit slightly over time, for example, we can remember a thing that you have seen recently and after that you begin to forget it, it is a change of a brain, isn't it?  This leads me back to the question again. When do we become adult? 
___________________________________ 

My question

I've mention an idea about "a change in a brain", and the article also mention this phrase. Then, what is your idea about this phrase.
___________________________________ 

Reference

4 comments:

  1. I like the way Champ's response leaves the question open, inviting further discussion.

    Actually, I disagreed when I read his clause "because they are scientists' words." As they are the first to honestly admit, scientists are often wrong! Things are not true because scientists say so, but because the evidence and reason the scientists give supports what their ideas, at least for now. I also like the way Champ reminds us of the excellent discussion your class had on the relationship between fact and opinion last Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't ventured my own opinion on Champ's thoughtful question, but I'm looking forward to reading your responses to it.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Champ that each person will be an adult in different ages based on their factors such as heredity, diet, environment, activity, way of thinking and so on. Beside that, this news brings to a question that how do we actually define the word "adult"? This word is based on people's mental or physical? When scientists use growing of brain to be a factor to determine this word, it shows that their judge is based on physical part, even they tell that the brain effects human's behavior. On the other hand, can we do an experiment relating to mental directly such as mental evaluation or test? This news still not stronger enough in part of evidences and how they prove this. Regarding to changing in the brain, I agree with Champ that our brain keep changing all the time for both improving or degeneration even at the same time. So it is hard to know that the brain is fully developed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with Champ that brain change over the time and not stop changing even you are 30 years old. There are a lot of factors made being change in the brain at different ages, depending on environment, parent, friend, activity and so on. So, how to define adult cannot just look at the brain but also look at other things such as the responsibility and mental.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.