Saturday 16 March 2019

What Peter reads

Since I was in primary school, I've read a lot, although unlike then, I rarely read on paper these days. Almost everything I read today is online or on my Kindle app, which are far more convenient than paper for most things.

However, the material I read hasn't changed so much. Actually, now that I think about it, there have been some significant changes to the type of material, if not the quantity. When I was in high school and at university, I read a lot of fiction and science. These days i still read the fiction, although not so much recently, but my non-fiction reading is broader than before. I browse at least three newspapers every day, usually with my morning coffee, when I read the BBC News, the Bangkok Post, The New York Times, and usually also Australia's Sydney Morning Herald. Obviously I don't read every story in these publications. I quickly look at the front page, which usually has one or two stories I do want to read, and then I go to the sections that interest me, usually local politics, but also science, technology, and opinions.

Books? The most recent books I've read were not very serious: a John Grisham legal thriller, and the book versions of the NetFlix series Dexter, which was fun. In non-fiction, I've recently read the excellent series of three books by historian Yuval Noah Harari, who takes from 13.5 billion years ago into the possible futures of our likely short-lived species. And right now I'm reading a recent work on the weirdness of quantum mechanics.

2 comments:

  1. I read Dexter too and I love the style they use in the book, but I don't watch the series yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen the book "Dexter", but that sound interesting. Who is your favorite character in the story?

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.