Saturday 30 March 2019

Why were Facebook passwords exposed internally?

What I read

“Millions of Facebook passwords exposed internally ” (2019) says that millions of Facebook passwords were exposed internally by a security flaw that allowed storing passwords stored in plain text. An internal check found that most of the people affected were users of Facebook Lite in nations where net connections are sparse and slow. Facebook thought they would notify the users of Facebook Lite, Facebook and Instagram, but would force them to reset the password only if Facebook looked into the issue and uncovered abuse of login credentials.


___________________________________ 

My response 

Facebook is one of social media that I use to chat with my friends, read interesting information and know current events. It is as useful and popular as Line, Twitter, Instagram. It is important to many people. So, I think that exposing of Facebook passwords is a big problem that shouldn't be overlooked.   

In my opinion, the Facebook passwords shouldn't have been exposed. Some people use one password in every accounts. It isn't safe for them, if someone know the password, they can know everything about password owner and can do anything in accounts. It is a big problem that Facebook must fix quickly otherwise there may be many problems and can be more difficult to fix.

___________________________________ 

My question

How should we do to prevent our passwords from being known?
___________________________________ 

Reference

5 comments:

  1. As I read her response, I was disagreeing a bit with some of the things that Sha sha says. I agree that Facebook was careless, but I think users also have some responsibility for their own protection: it was when Sha sha wrote that "Some people use one password in every accounts" that I started to think that if they had problems, the users would be at least partly to blame. I have to admit, it's hard to follow good security practices. My solution is to remember one very strong password for a program that stores all of my other unique passwords for about 100 or more websites and things.

    I also had some worries as I read that some people might rely on Facebook or similar media to "know current events." I don't think this is necessarily bad, and I do the same, but it does seem problematic to me to rely only on FB or similar to know and understand what is going on in the world. I wonder what others think about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the best way to prevent our passwords from being known is just not telling our password to another person. In this case happening in the news, it's out of our control, isn't it? The passwords have been exposed internally, and if we change our passwords, they'll still be exposed because passwords are saved as "plain texts", which is real passwords without encoding, so the best way to do in this can may be hoping that Facebook will fix this point shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Social media is a very important part of our lives nowadays, so it is very important to prevent others' access to our accounts. Otherwise, it may cause us a lot of troubles. I think the best way to prevent our passwords from being known is to keep it a secret and not to tell anybody about it, not even your best friend or your relatives. I also suggest that passwords for our social media accounts should be changed frequently, may be once a few months. To strongly secure our accounts, the passwords should be long and contain both alphabets and numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my candidate to write a summary. I am glad that Sha Sha summarize this one because I have my personal opinion on this news. In the IT world, normal people would expect to rely on the devices, websites and technology tools. However, people should keep in mind that those tools have been created or controlled by human. So it is possible that there are some human errors since human is human. Before I started working in this industry, I always think that I can rely on these thing and they have the responsibility that they need to protect our data. Indeed, after I have entered this industry, I have a lot more idea that I cannot rely on them 100 percents as there might be some errors or accidents that happen to us as a customer. I did not try to say that you should not rely on them, but I just want people aware about the probability of having some error. There are many laws and regulations used to control this privacy thing, which I think you can rely on, but you still need to protect yourself as they are your own accounts and you are responsible to take care of those. IT have plenty of advantages if you use it in the right way, but at the same time, it can have some disadvantages if you do not know them enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nowadays, we cannot deny the fact that social media, especially Facebook, has important to our lives. I totally agree with Sha Sha that Facebook passwords shouldn't have been exposed. There are so many personal data of each user and it's not safe if someone knows the password. I think the best way to prevent our passwords from being known is the user should not tell the password to anyone. I also think that changing the password sometimes is another way to prevent the password from being known.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.