Wednesday 3 March 2010

Do you believe that everybody is equal?

It is, sometimes, very hard to remove evil traditions. in the world, there are still many people discriminated becasue of wrong tradition or thought.

In this article, "Caste prejudice may exist in british workplace", in BBC NEWS, although ministers don't think there is no discrimination about the people who came from the lower caste in their work place, however, Beroness Thornton suggested that that is not true. In fact, the women from lower caste treated un fairly in the work place in UK.

Discrimination the lower caste has a long history in India. I have heared that the caste system is still exist and has power in Indian society. Even though, many people tried to remove it for a long time, it is almost impossible to do, becasue the thought of people could not change. India is not the only country which has wrong tradition, there are many nations that suffered from prejudice. Even in the U.S, many people still discriminated because of race, sex, disability, sexual orientation, and so on. I also had exprience about racial discrimination, and that was very bad memory. however, even I had bad memory from the prejudice, I am shocked that I have "prejudice" like other people, sometimes.

__________
References
Caste prejudice 'may exist ' in British work place, (2010, March 3), BBC News, retrieved March 3, 2010 from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8546661.stm

8 comments:

  1. I think that discrimination is still in many places. I am also discriminated when I went to interview for jobs, because the interviewers always thought that I am a woman and I could not do hard work; they always asked me whether you could do this job or you could do work at night, or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunny,
    If it were a private organization, do you think that they should be allowed to discriminate when choosing employees?
    How about a religious group, for example, Catholic and other religious groups want exemptions from some UK anti-discrimination laws because they do not want to be forced to employee homosexuals or others of whose lifestyle they disapprove. Should this be allowed? Should Christian, Buddhism or other religions be legally permitted to refuse to ordain woman, gays or others?
    And if one group is allowed to discriminate on such grounds, why shouldn't any other non-state organization?

    And for one more question, what would John Stuart Mill say on these questions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think discrimination is the nature of human. People tend to get attached to people who have similar attribute. It is a kind of preconception that most people have. However, we must keep it in check and do not allow such a kind of prejudice to lead us to treat people unfairly or cruelly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post reminds me of what I learnt in my class few years ago. I've learnt that treating people equally, and not to discriminate them, also means you must treat them differently when they are different. I kind of forget what exactly that phrase means but I definitely going to look it up later.
    Anyway, there is a verdict of the supreme administrative court of Thailand that you all might find interesting. It says that even if the applicant, for prosecutor, is handicapped, he still has ability to do the job. So, his application must be accepted or it would be discrimination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I happened to come up with an example of "you must treat people differently when they are different". My professor gave that example to the class he said that when malls reserve parking lots for handicaps, that is not the discrimination of other people who have complete body. I'm not sure it's relevant here or not, it's just that I suddenly remembered so I blurted out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I quite confuse with Roong's phrase, "you must treat people differently when they are different". This phrase means discrimination or indiscrimination? From my understanding, discrimination is the way that people treat others unequally. Therefore, if we treat different persons in different ways, that means we are discriminating, right? Why did Roong's professor define this as indiscrimination?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My prof. said that treating people who are different in the ‘essence’, the same way as everyone else is also discrimination. I can not remember the exact ideas and a junior borrowed my lecture, so I'm not very sure.
    But it's like the main point is that in order to be equal, everyone must be provided opportunities to be equal. So, people with less ability naturally get fewer opportunities, for example, blind people. The important thing is that the state must provide them things to help them measure up with the rest of the society and can get a chance like others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, he gave an example that if a law student is a blinder, we must give them equipments to learn efficiently, we can not say that he always gets the special seat, this is discriminating for the rest of us, or something like that.
    So, equality consists of two components. Firstly, treat people indifferently when the 'essence' of them is the same. Secondly, treat people who are different in the 'essence' differently.
    P.S. And we also must learn how to know what is the 'essence', too?

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.