Wednesday 3 March 2010

Review language: What to consider?

When she was reviewing Mod's essay last night, a question occurred to Roong which seemed to me to exactly reflect the sort of issues we are concerned with in this class. Her question in full is:
I have a question. As I was reviewing P'Mod's essay, I wondered, can I use this word and what about that one?
So, my question is, is it necessary that we do the review academically, too? I mean, do I have to choose the words carefully, like I usually do in an academic writing? (personal communication, March 2, 2010)
Although I have already sent my brief reply to Roong, it occurred to me, as it so often does when someone asks this sort of question, that it would be very useful for everyone to reflect on the issues that her thoughtful question brings up; the best way to do that is via a discussion. And an excellent way to do that is by sharing our ideas on it here, as I suggested in my topic post "Blogging our class".
And that is what I would invite you to do now. How would you answer Roong's question?
__________
Because they are taken from a source non-recoverable by readers, there is no reference list entry for the words I quoted and cited above.
And because the quote is a long one, well over 40 words, it is not in quotation marks; rather, it is written as an indented passage. Use the "Block quotes" tool in Blogger to apply this style to text.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.