Monday 8 March 2010

How many hours should we sleep?

I heard that the number of sleeping hour affects our weight long time ago and "Sleep wrong and you'll feel the bad fat" in NewScientist reminds me of this issue.

According to this article, people who sleep less than 5 hours and more than 8 hours per night gain weight more than people who sleep 6-7 hours per night. Moreover, "CAT scans revealed increases in visceral fat, which accumulates around the internal organs and is particularly dangerous to health."(¶ 4).

I always sleep 8 hours per night and I heard that it is a little too many; however, I still do not
exactly know the number of hours that I should sleep. Furthermore, this article tells that the number of sleeping hour relates to amount of visceral fat, so I want to know more about this fat. Then, I read another article which is "Why hip fat is good, but pot bellies are bad". Bob Holmes says that the visceral fat, which is in belly, can cause heart disease and insulin resistance, but subcutaneous fat, which is under skin on hip, can help mice end up with lighter body and less insulin resistance. Therefore, a person who has big hip is safer from the diseases than a person who has belly, right? However, I have to find more about how these fats relate to amount of sleeping hour.
__________
References
Sleep wrong and you'll feel the bad fat. (2010, March 7). NewScientist. Retrieved March 8, 2010 from http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20527504.700-sleep-wrong-and-youll-feel-the-bad-fat.html
Holmes, B. (2008, May 9).Why hip fat is good, but pot bellies are bad. NewScientist.Retrieved March 8, 2010 from http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19826553.600-why-hip-fat-is-good-but-pot-bellies-are-bad.html


2 comments:

  1. This article sound very interesting. However, I wonder one thing, how people who sleep less than 5 hours could gain weight. When I sleep less I usually lose weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard some people said that even we sleep, we use our energy, and I think that some people eat more when they sleep less, so they can gain weight. However, the last sentence of the second article gives the clue for your question. "Kahn suspects it secretes hormones that speed up metabolism."

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.