Tuesday 17 May 2011

Theoretical Knowledge or Practical Skills

Nowadays, education is an essential part of our lives. We had the teacher since we were born which is father and mother. They are not only our parents, but they are also our first teachers. Some of them know that they are not good enough to be a teacher. Therefore, they send the children to school to gain theoretical knowledge as we see in the article "Schools 'should teach how to save a life', says charity" on BBC News (2011)

It's good to have the curriculum of life-saving skills in school. According to a survey of British Heart Foundation, 73% of the students want to learn the process of resuscitation and first aid. Both parents and teachers agreed to have this program in school. Life-saving skills include resuscitation, serious bleeding, chocking and heart attacks. A spokesman of Education department said he tries to set this curriculum to match with the students' need and teachers. It's important to desire a lesson in order to suit to students and also difficult to find a teacher teaching these skills. However, the better way of learning is to face with real situations in their lives.

I've never seen this program in any school. It's a good idea to have this curriculum in schools because the students can learn how to resuscitate people and help them before sending to a hospital. That's important process of saving life. If we don't know how to help them properly, they might be in worse situation. I think we should have both theoritical knowledge and practical skills for life-saving skills in order to build your confidence when we face with real situations.

__________
References
Schools 'should teach how to save a life', says charity. (2011, May 15). BBC News. Retrived May 17,2011 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13391709

5 comments:

  1. I like June's post. As I was reading it, I thought how very often theoretical and practical knowledge need to go together, and need each other.

    The particular examples that came to mind were reading and writing - just like resuscitation, swimming and cooking, reading and writing are practical skills (not theoretical knowledge) that can only develop with practise, but they also benefit from some theoretical knowledge of things like grammar and different techniques to achieve our purposes. However, regular practise is essential - you cannot be a good cook or a great football player if you just study theory, you must get out and actually practise regularly, at a level that is challenging and pushes you to do better than you have done before. It's useful for cooks to study some chemistry to better understand what is going on in the cooking process, and what makes a meal healthy or not, but it's at least as important to get into to a kitchen and do it. I am sure that David Beckham also benefits from knowledge of what the human body is capable of and how best to train, but if he didn't get out and kick a ball around, he would never be a great player.

    And if you want to read and write well, you have to do it - learning grammar and such things is useless (a complete waste of time) unless you are practising reading and writing by actually doing it - preferably an a daily basis.

    And this is why we want to step up our daily reading allotment, as well as writing a bit more for the remaining weeks of our class.

    For example, the homework tomorrow is to read all of the second chapter of Steinbeck's novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. June
    I’m glad that in UK everyone agrees that it’s very important to learn about resuscitation and first aid. I had direct experience when I was trained how to safe people’s life. It’s one of interesting subject to learn and we practiced with model which had same size as human. If you can give first aid or do CPR to him/her immediately, you can save human life, such as one of my ex-coworker, she had chance to do CPR during the way to go back home, she found an unconscious old man who fainted at the train station, unfortunately he stopped breathing but after she did continue to do CPR, then he became conscious later. She told me that she won’t be forgetting that she could save one life.
    Peter
    I really like your idea, the way that you encourage us to keep practicing reading and writing by compare with June’s post. You points out and suggest how we can become a good reader and writer, I’ll practice to write and read same as I used to practice my CPR :)Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter

    I agree with you idea. Practice make perfect. I love reading several types of book such as classic novel(Pride and prejudice, Oliver twist, Jane Eyre), Young adult literature ( Little house series, Charlotte's web, His dark material, Harry Potter) and so on. I started reading some books that I 'm interested in them fifthteen years ago. I had a lot of free time because I studied at Catholic broading school(kindergarten). I ended up spend a lot of time in a library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pree,
    That sounds like my life in Catholic schools - I also spent a lot of time in the library, which my teachers kindly, and a little unusually, encouraged. Instead of making me attend classes, they used to let me pursue my own interests in the library. And one of the brothers (the principal of the school in fact), who taught my religion class as well as mathematics and physics, introduced me to philosophy. That didn't do my Christian faith much good, but I was very grateful to his tolerant and encouraging approach, which was very unusual for those days.

    I like all the books you've listed - sometimes we read Pride and Prejudice for level 6. It's a bit more challenging, and much longer, than Of Mice and Men, but I think it's perhaps the best novel ever written in English.

    Rowling's Harry Potter books are fun, but not in the same league as Jane Austen or John Steinbeck. She is, however, a very capable writer. Although her books are for children, she tells a great story and does not simplify the grammar or limit the vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peter,

    I think it a nice stretegy to make children love reading. I read a lot of thai liturature(catoon version) such as Phra Aphai Mani, Panji (prince),and so forth. My sisters let us read and study whatever we want. My sister(principle) is very generous. She let me read her collection anytime I want. Also, she've never pursuaded me to believe in God. I 'm Budhist. However, I used to sing a song in Catholic church and attend to every important ceremony because I love music. I play a lot of instruments such as piono, cimbalom, flute and so on. I like broading school because they provide us many activities such as martial art (takewondo), music, drawing etc.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.