Saturday 4 August 2012

A bit about Peter - shopping and free time.

I did a quick brainstorm in my head, and shopping seemed like something to write a bit about. Actually, I usually hate shopping. I buy clothes only two or three times a year. When there is a sale on of a brand I like, I buy several shirts, and whatever else I might need. If it's for work at AUA, I buy half dozen shirts and a couple of pairs of pants. I buy fresh food every day, but that's pretty straight forward. I usually pop into Tops at Silom Complex on the way home after class, except that at the moment it's closed, so I'm going to Foodland in Patpong, which is OK, but Tops is much better. After my Sunday class, I usually meet friends for an early lunch at Siam Paragon, and then I go shopping in the Gourmet Supermarket there. I do actually enjoy that bit of shopping - I like eating, and there are some great things available there.

Shopping is not my favourite free time activity, but reading has been very high on the list ever since I was around ten years old. I grew up on a farm, which was fun, but definitely not the life I wanted, and I enjoyed curling up somewhere and just reading. I even read my school books! Thankfully, my parents had a lot of books in the house, and subscribed to some newspapers and magazines, so there was always plenty of varied and new reading material coming in. Today, as I've written in a comment here, most of my reading is no longer paper based: I still read novels, magazines, journals and so on, but these days it's nearly all online or on a Kindle.

And you? What would you like to tell us to introduce yourself?
(In case you're wondering about my title: I did choose the topics before I started writing, but if I'd changed my mind half way through the writing, it wouldn't have been a problem. I would have revised the title to reflect the changed content.)

3 comments:

  1. I think Foodland is a nice place for buying food. My parent bought some sanwiches, pate' and pies from there if he could. I think some kind of foods in Foodland are yummy. My friend drops by this supermarket at Srinakarin branch for having a dinner almost every day after working.

    For me I like Top supermarket a lot and I also love window shopping at Gourmet Supermarket at Siam Paragon too, but don't tend to buy it because of expensive prices. I think is maybe a common thing foy any guy because they are not keen on shopping like women.

    A few years ago I went to super market as much as I could, but now I spend less time to go shopping because it might be a waste of time and money. It moght be a good thing that guys don't love shopping because they'd save up a lot of money, which many women can't do this.

    By the way, now I see a number of guys buy a lot of expensive gadgets instead such as Iphone, Macbook, Blackberry phone. These are so costly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tom - a great example of response writing.

      I agree that Foodland has some very good products for sale in their delicatessen, bakery and other food sections. As well as the pâté, I also like their duck breast with prosciutto, the smoked pork hock, and a few of the salamis, hams and other tasty bits. And I often get a sun break loaf on the way home. When I'm feeling motivated, I also buy some fresh veggies and perhaps some salmon or steak to cook at home.

      And this makes my second five-minute response comment for today. Now I can relax and watch that wonderful BBC production of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice again before retiring.

      Delete
  2. This is a very lovely writing. I really enjoyed reading it. I don't like shopping either, but I have to go shopping for my family quit often.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.