Wednesday 15 August 2012

Tiny living things in our guts

There are million of them in our intestines. Do you know that these bacteria are benefits for us?
 
According to BBC Health "what is E coli" by Dr. Gill Jenkins said that our gastrointestinal tract, particularly the colon, is full of many billions of bacteria, with over 500 different species living within us, causing no harm and possibly protecting us from the growth of colonies of other pathogenic bacteria. Escherichia coli (also known as E. coli) is one of these 'commensal' bacteria types and we don't usually know it's there. 
 
When we think about bacteria we always think about little living things that are very disgusting, always separating their cells all the time and cause us diseases. But there are some bacteria that are useful for our bodies such as E. coli that are located in our intestine. They prevent us from infections that caused by another bacteria, so  we don't need to get rid of all of bacteria from our bodies. We should avoid using anti-biotic drugs that may kill good bacteria in our bodies. However we don't need to find out more E. coli for our body because excessive good bacteria can also cause us diseases. __
Reference
Dr. Gill J (2012 August, 14) E. coli infection BBC News. Retrieved August 15,2012 from http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/conditions/ecoli.shtml

6 comments:

  1. I actaully have heard about benefits of some bacteria but I am not sure if they are the same kind of what you mentioned since I cannot remember the name. Although I have less knowledge about biology,I agree with you that too much of good bacterias won't be good for the health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure that Was I used to heard about E. coli from the news in Germany? At that time German people fear this bacteria which cause of eating some vegetable that import from abroad. After that, German Government had an order to stop to import it. Due to they knew that it had mixing of E. coli in the process of vegetable building. For example, when the orchard people want to build the vegetable they had to put the manure which also contaminated of E. coli. So, the vegetable still had of E. coli that contaminated also.

    However, if my mention is wrong I also have to say sorry about that. I just want to share an idea also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yut,
      I don't think it's a problem to be unsure. I often write things in comments that I'm not 100% sure of, and sometimes others then correct my mistakes.

      If I think it's important enough, I might do a quick Google to check, but I often don't worry too much. I agree with you that it's fine to write what think.

      Delete
  3. I like to eat yoghurt sometimes because it has bacteria in it that is supposed to be good for us. I'm not sure if it's E. Coli or some other sort of bacteria.

    I think that yoghurt is also easier for us to digest because the bacteria in it have already been at work digesting the milk for themselves. And then we come along and eat them and the leftovers of the milk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard some kinds of E.Coli can harm your body, such as causing diarrhoea, which can be found in seafood like mussels. Generally, people can have them, because E-Coli may increase in sea animals a lot in certain seasons.

    Someone I know died from consuming just one raw oyster, because his friends had convinced him. Suddenly he was sent to a hospital that day due to infected that raw oyster and died in a week. Actually he infected Hepatitis B or virus B earlier. That's why his health become weak than other people. It's shame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bacteria is like people which we have both, good or bad. Some bacteria is useful ,such as making yogurh, making Nam(Thai sour sausage)and making Blue Cheese(the most delicious cheese in the world). Moreover, ruminant, like cow and buffalo, can use bacteria from their gut to produce protein from grass to their body.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.