Friday 17 August 2012

It's not just listen to music

How much do you know yourself through your favorite songs? If you read this article and then you try doing a short survey, you might be surprised of the result.

According to You are what you hear: what your favorite music says about you, the new article in the Guardian about the project "Six songs of me" by Eric clarke, the musicologist who created a survey and adapted Oxford professor's theories to conduct a study in order to map out personal playlists as much as possible. This project still running now online which contains just six questions in total with simply questions like "What was the first song you ever bought?" or " What is your perfect love song?"


                                             Adele, a British singer

I think it is a good start to collect this survey because only six questions which are available in the Guardian website, people maybe interested to join the survey. I've clicked on the survey and found that each question link to the database of musical lists. The survey website is ease to use, because you can either type the title of songs or the name of singers. Unfortunately, songs which in the survey website cann't be turned on in Thailand. It would be better if this survey would be translated into different languages and different local songs such as Thai and Japanese, because some countries do not use English as a first or official language. Also, some people may not listen to just only English songs. I've tried answer once and then I found it's a hard choice to make up my mind, because I have to select the most favorite one per question.

__________
References

Clarke E., Six Songs of Me: Just why music matters so much to us ...(2012, August 2). The guardian. Retrieved August 16, 2012 from http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/aug/02/1

6 comments:

  1. The questions made me start thinking back to different times in my life. There are a few songs and other music that do that for me. Every time I hear them, I remember one day in kindergarten, being on a high school science excursion, and so on.

    "Puff the Magic Dragon" infallibly reminds me of magically happy days at my grandmother's house with siblings and cousins. But I'm not sure what sort of person this makes me - one who had a happy childhood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And listening to that on YouTube led to another Peter, Paul and Mary song - "Lemon Tree", which took me back to watching TV at home after dinner with my family: there used to be a cowboys and Indians comedy show on which was set in the US Civil War, and one episode featured this song. The music clearly made an impact on my because I think it's the only episode I can remember any of.

      I'm having nostalgic music with my coffee this morning. But no chocolate with the morning hit.

      Delete
  2. It's interesting, surely I will try to do it. I agree with Tom, that most people have first album that baught is Thai singer.

    For me, my fisrt international song is "Yesterday Once More" from "Carpenter" which is mom's favorite band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mo, the Carpenters' "Top of the World" also reminds me of a science excursion when I was in junior high school - it was shortly after the song had been released and it was very popular. It was being played very loudly along with the rest of the album on the bus on our way back in the evening.

      I love Johnny Depp's gestures in the video someone has kindly posted to YouTube. There were plenty of other uploads of this song, a tad more original than the one I've chosen, but this one caught my eye. I notice that it also seems to have been very popular in Japan and other Asian countries. I didn't realise that the Carpenters had also been a hit in Thailand.

      Delete
    2. "Top of the World" is my English fisth song that I can sing!! That when i was in grade 5, my teacher teach us to sing with the chipmunk cartoon. However, my first album that i bought is also Thai.

      Now, my favorite songs are Pround of you, Somewhere over the Rainbow, Try and Out Here On My Own. For me, i have many kinds of song in many differant period of time. For example, i like bossa in rainy day, i prefer pop when i'm bored.

      Delete
  3. Thank you Mo and Peter. I think many English songs are very nice, especially old songs, because they're classics. I heard "Puff the Magic Dragon" long time ago I can't remember. It's very nice song. I like "Yesterday Once More" of the Carpenter too. Also I loke "Hey Jude" of the Beatles which Paul McCartney's sang in Olympic London 2012.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.