Thursday 2 August 2012

Something Tasty to Chew on

Do you think some people's eating habits are a bit weird? Does your culture eat any strange foods?

In "Plan To Slaughter Horses For Human Consumption Is Met With Distaste", Ted Burnham writes about the end of the US ban on killing horses for people to eat (2012). He says that although horse ranchers in the US like this idea, it is probably less popular with many other Americans.

I thought that Burnham's article was interesting, and as you will see, it fits very well with our readings in the first chapter of Quest. Although there are some foods I couldn't eat, horse would not worry me. And as Burnham also tells us, in Australia, my country, we regularly eat kangaroo, and I think kangaroo is a tasty meat. I usually have a kangaroo steak or something at least once on my annual visit to Australia. I can't see any good reason for objecting to eating horses. Why would killing and eating horses be any worse than slaughtering and eating pigs, cows, duck, chickens or dogs?
__________
References
Burnham, T. (2012, April 18). Plan To Slaughter Horses For Human Consumption Is Met With Distaste. The Salt. Retrieved August 1, 2012 from http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/04/17/150833468/plan-to-slaughter-horses-for-human-consumption-is-met-with-distaste

8 comments:

  1. Certainly no, I can't eat horse. I was used to be equine practitioner before. Horse is very cute, smart and elegance. In my view, horse is companion animal to be your pet and friend. Horse is not livestock. Many species that I may try to eat but horse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mo,
    How about kangaroo? Although the kangaroo is one of our iconic animals, and an official national symbol, Australians eat it a lot these days. I usually have a kangaroo steak or other tasty bit on my annual visit to Australia.

    In fact, the two animals on the Australian coat of arms, the kangaroo and the emu, are both eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh!really? Australian eat them. What do they taste like? Are they yummy?
    But I still prefer normal livestock like pork ,chicken and duck. It's ok for me. I don't want new species 's meat. I'm conservative. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like kangaroo and emu. Kangaroo is much like beef, only a bit less tender and fatty. The taste is a little stronger, which I like. I think it's better in a casserole than as a steak: the long, slow cooking brings our the flavour better, and makes the meat more tender.

      I've never seen kangaroo in here, although I have seen crocodile and ostrich in Thailand.

      There are so many kangaroos in Australia that they are a problem for wheat farmers and others. They are in no danger of extinction, unlike koalas, which are perfectly useless for anything.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad it's the kangaroo on our coat of arms and not the koala.

      Delete
  4. My japanese friend used to have hoursemeat sushi. Of course this meat was raw! She said its taste's very nice. For me i just think horses are not for food, like dogs and cats which some my neighbour countries eat them.

    I agree with Mo that she likes meat from farming instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Horse is a mammal. It gives birth, and feeds its young milk. Many years ago houses are used for flighting in War. These days, horses are use for entertaining tourists. Horseback riding is interesting. I have experience at Hual Hin and Grand Canyon. It was good fun and I enjoyed very much. Horses are nice and friendly. In my opinion, Human should help the government to privent killing horsed for food. In the world not many people eat horses meat, but most of people eat duck, chicken, cow and pork. People should eat what the majority of human consumption. Here is common idiom. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noom,
      I think you raise an interesting point.
      When I was a child, we had horses as well as beef and dairy cattle and pigs on our property. It would never have occurred to us to eat our horses, but we happily ate the cows and pigs along with our poultry!

      Is there any good for these different attitudes, which were, as you remind us, socially normal and acceptable. Does being socially accepted and normal make things right? (I'm hoping someone will argue that it does not and cannot.)

      I also like the idiom Noom has introduced. We'll be seeing that again soon in Quest.

      Delete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.