Wednesday 17 August 2016

Can yoga be a vehicle for improving self-image?

Source background
From "My belly is there, I'm still strong: Jessamyn Stanley on body-positive yoga" this is article by Anna Codrea-Rado, some sentences of this article is a part of Jessamyn Stanley's answer about self-image of yoga which she was interviewed by Anna Codrea-Rado. Jessamyn Stanley, a yoga teacher who travels the world giving seminars to her fans, isn’t white and she isn’t skinny and saw neither as a hindrance to her yoga devotion. When she posts photos of herself with yoga everywhere she gets a lot of great feedback from the online yoga community on Instagram about her form and technique of yoga and she is inspiring person of them. Doing yoga has shown her she’s strong and capable both tenants of body positivism (2016).

_______________________________________ 

My Yes/No question is:
Can yoga be a vehicle for improving self-image?

My answer is:
Yes, it can be, that is good activity for improving self-image; in addition, we will practice our meditation with ourself and build our muscle for good health. 

From source background, the reporter Anna Codrea-Rado refer to "Yoga and eating disorders: is there a place for yoga in the prevention and treatment of eating disorders and disordered eating behaviours?" (2013) this is Dianne Neumark-Sztainer’s research, she is a professor at the University of Minnesota’s school of public health and a certified yoga teacher. She agrees that yoga can be a vehicle for improving self-image because doing yoga that individuals practicing yoga are more aware of their bodies and less likely to objectify their bodies which focuses on individuals with eating disorders, she found many felt less body shame and were more comfortable with their bodies as a result of doing yoga.

I would like to add more information for support my answer, not only yoga can be improve self-image but also other activities can be such as dancing, sing a song and so on. I believe about self-confidence of everyone who want to do something which they like or love. I think the results of that will be success. Least of all, they can do it. If people want to do something which it can support and develop themself for change to new person who is better I think it great thing for me. For yoga, I think it can help our body for good health in term of exercise, build nuscle, practice our meditation and so on. These are support of self-image for long time if we always do it.

For example, Do you remember "Dance your fat off Thailand" TV show? That's good TV show for me. The most people who apply for dance racing doesn't skinny but they have very good skill for dancing. That's great self-image it maybe called ability of each person. What do you think about this or yoga can be improving self-image? or you have other activities can be? Plese share your ideas.


___________
Reference
Codrea-Rado, A. (2016, August 16). My belly is there, I'm still strong: Jessamyn Stanley on body-positive yoga. The guardian. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/aug/16/jessamyn-stanley-body-positivity-yoga-instagram 
Neumark-Sztainer, D. (2013, December 11). Yoga and eating disorders: is there a place for yoga in the prevention and treatment of eating disorders and disordered eating behaviours?"Taylor and Francis Online. Retrieved from http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/21662630.2013.862369 

6 comments:

  1. I am totally agree with you. Yoga is one of my favorite activities and ,truly, I always use yoga as main tool when I'm in lose weight program, and it's work for me; in an addition, yoga can help my backache as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Although I don't personally like doing yoga, I know it's beneficial for your health and personality as well. I hope I can convince myself to like doing it someday because I know it is very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I think of Yoga, it always reminds me of my mother. Before going to bed everyday, she lays on the yoga mat and do many poses. She told me frequently that yoga is a great exercise because it helps us concentrate on body and mind. It is like another way of meditation but keep eyes open. She convinces me to give it a try. I used to try once but I ended up with Shavasana (a corpse pose), the one that I didn't have to do anything but laying like sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that yoga can improve self-image. In addition, other sports or activities which are suitable for you can make you have fun when you play or exercise, and it really helps you to improve your self-image as well. More benefits from playing yoga or sports which you're interested in are good health, relationship with other people who are playing with you, or have happiness. However, as I already commented to another blog post in this classroom for few days ago, many people always refuse to exercise by the common reason that they always have no time. Yeah, me too! I prefer to have relaxation after studying all day so I'm very lazy to play any sports or even to do a homework. This is a bad habit which I shouldn't do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, I agree that yoga can improve self-image, but there are others sports that can improve self-image too. For instance, boxing is now very popular sport for women. Although, boxing likes a kind of men sport, women can be able to play this too. During playing boxing, your arms and legs would be fit and firm by punching and kicking. Last month, I had a chance to play boxing. Then, I realized that my shape would be fit and firm. Plus, I lost my weight for 2 kilograms while I played boxing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yoga is very beneficial. I quite enjoy doing yoga but sometimes I find yoga is a little boring. Pilates is more favourable for me. They both are different but people who don't know pilates usually think they're the same. Pilates is more focused at strength of the core body and not as slow as yoga. I've tired both and they are very good exercises for relaxation. When my body is sore from weight training, I love to take a pilates class to reduce the muscle tension. Yoga would help more but I just prefer pilates over yoga.

    ReplyDelete

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.